The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 snake advice needed .hatchie or older snake ??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
emerald-snake Posted - 19/09/2011 : 14:00:55
I am getting a snake for my daughter very shortly .
We are presently considering cornsnakes .
We have no previous experience however we shall get all the correct info books equipment etc .
Would you advise getting an older snake or would you advise getting a hatchling .Ultimately i'd like to get a healthy proven healthy snake used to being handled .
Thankyou
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kris01 Posted - 22/09/2011 : 22:40:07
quote:
Originally posted by Hissyfit

[quote]Originally posted by emerald-snake

Thankyou for all of your replies....we have now made up our mind we shall get a snake either 1 or 2 years old quite what type we have yet to decide

snow corns are nice
Hissyfit Posted - 21/09/2011 : 14:29:46
quote:
Originally posted by emerald-snake

Thankyou for all of your replies....we have now made up our mind we shall get a snake either 1 or 2 years old quite what type we have yet to decide

Well asking on here it's got to be a corn snake
emerald-snake Posted - 21/09/2011 : 11:03:23
Karakal Posted - 21/09/2011 : 09:36:46
I'd go for an older snake, honestly having just been tagged twice by my youngster! Never had a problem of any kind handling or eating wise with the two year old that was gifted to me!
Sta~ple Posted - 21/09/2011 : 08:04:55
Yearling or adult :3 also that way, you could give an unwanted and unloved snake a home :3
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/09/2011 : 23:39:54
My Apologies to the OP for partial threadjack...

quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

........i hope this has helped, if you need anything visit my site or e-mail me :)

Or they could carry on looking on these forums and other forums.
You have been warned several times about what I see as constant plugging of your site on many different threads.

The definition of spam is: Forum spam is the creating of messages that are advertisements, abusive, or otherwise unwanted on Internet forums.

So your constant adverts are they spam? or are they not???

I can understand and accept you trying to help, but anymore spamming and you can wave goodbye.
Thanks for reading.

/threadjack over
eeji Posted - 20/09/2011 : 23:00:59
quote:
Originally posted by emerald-snake

I am getting a snake for my daughter very shortly .
We are presently considering cornsnakes .
We have no previous experience however we shall get all the correct info books equipment etc .
Would you advise getting an older snake or would you advise getting a hatchling .Ultimately i'd like to get a healthy proven healthy snake used to being handled .
Thankyou

You answered your own question

I would definitely recommend an an older snake, much calmer and easier to handle and a lot less likely to spook kids by trying to jump out of their hands :)
fluffycorn Posted - 20/09/2011 : 14:29:39
I have just got a hatchling and although he is not too fast he is still rather fiddly to handle compared to my other corn who is 15 months old ... a yearling would be a good choice because they have still got a lot of growing/changing to do but they are easier to handle :)
garrie Posted - 20/09/2011 : 14:25:55
I got AURYN at 9 months old - so somewhere between a hatchling and a yearling. He is pretty chilled now, but when i first got him (after the settling in week) he was quite "flighty", which wasn't great for his (or my) nerves. I don't think i would have been very good with a hatchling as a first snake, so my recommendation like a few others would be to go for a yearling. Obviously it is all dependent on how confident your kids are, and also how badly you want to see it grow from 25 - 40cm to around 5ft...
Nox Posted - 20/09/2011 : 14:19:27
Ask the right questions and you will get the right answer eh! Yes, as I said on the other thread to get a young adult. I'm glad you got some good responses from all these experienced keepers :)
I hope you feel confident in what to do now and that your daughter enjoys which ever snake you get!
Red123 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 12:03:10
A yearling or an adult. My 13 year old does not feel confident enough to handle small hatchlings. He sees/shows no fear with any animal but is terrified he may drop a hatchling. Bless him.
gingerpony Posted - 20/09/2011 : 11:55:44
i've got nearly a decade of experience and still hate handling hatchies!!!
Hissyfit Posted - 20/09/2011 : 11:36:06
I went for a yearling for my 10 yr old's first corn snake, and he's turned out to be a lovely natured little guy with no feeding or handling problems at allI'd get a yearling, then next year when you have some experience get a hatchling
EmSquem Posted - 20/09/2011 : 11:07:28
I'd probably say a yearling
Mort13 Posted - 20/09/2011 : 09:32:15
I depends on the age of your child really. The first snake I got was a hatchie that the kids wanted. My kids were 8 and 9 at that point. I can honestly say there was never any issue when it came to handling,they were always closely supervised by me though. I'm actually glad we got a hatchie as we've all been able to watch him grow and change.
However,I will say that now he's just over a year old he is a lot easier to handle and I'll now let the kids get him out of the viv themselves. They always ask first though.
I'd recommend going some shops and seeing if you can both handle a few of various ages.

Okeetee Mick Posted - 19/09/2011 : 18:05:33
Sound advice, yearlings and adults for young children every time, we have four young ones all under six months and boy are they fast, very scary for small kids.
Mamma Posted - 19/09/2011 : 16:19:30
I would 3rd what has been said. My daughter handles the yearlings and the older ones. The hatchlings are too flighty for her to handle.
kdlang Posted - 19/09/2011 : 16:03:41
I 2nd GP.
Hatchlings are much quicker and can be more prone to striking which can put children off. They can also be more prone to escaping. I think hatchlings also have a higher death rate.
Adults are fantastic as they are generally much slower and easier to handle and you will only have to get one set-up for the rest of their life (in theory). However you do miss seeing them change as they get older and large adults can scare children with their size.
If you aim to get one that is between 1 and 2 years old, they are still young enough for you to see changes but old enough that there is less potential for feeding problems. They should be used to handling (depending where you get it from) and young children seem to be less intimidated by them.
gingerpony Posted - 19/09/2011 : 14:30:38
i'd personally recommend a yearling:
it will be an established feeder
it should be used to being handled
it will be a manageable size without being too big
it's adult colouration will be coming through
it's already gone through a stage of rapid growth when it's outgrowing fauns/Rubs/vivs every other month lol
Diesel1994 Posted - 19/09/2011 : 14:10:01
there are pros and cons to both, hatchlings are small and fast, making fast ones to handle, but they slow down quick and when grown up will be a very placid snake. An adult obviously hasn't been brought up by you, meaning it may be wary of people or abit bad for handling which isnt a problem, they can be calmed but its a lot harder, adults however if you have a good well brought up one in my opinion that would be better for a child as long as supervised. adults take more room, but also can be out for virtually as long as you please, hatchlings can be kept in a reletavly small space but can only be kept out for 10-20 mins before losing body heat and getting stressed.

i hope this has helped, if you need anything visit my site or e-mail me :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000