The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 My baby snake got out

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
musical2one Posted - 25/07/2011 : 19:35:09
So, my clever baby snake got out of his cage while I was gone this weekend. Any tips on how I can lure him out? I assume he is still in my room, or in the kitchen. Right now I have a cozy heated area set up in the middle of my room just waiting for him. Laying out food as bait didn't work last night. To get out on the floor he would have fallen off the table I had him on...he is just a baby, born last october, falling off the table wouldn't hurt him would it? I'll be very upset if I find him dead :(. Also, is there a website where I can buy a cheap, full-proof cage?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 30/07/2011 : 00:52:46
Have you read the thread that Katie posted? That is full of excellent tips to try but the main thing you need is patience. And keep your eyes peeled every time you turn a light on when you enter a room.

I wouldn't put out food every day. Leave it for a few days for the smell of mouse to disappear and then try putting a bottle trap in the room he escaped in. Chances are he hasn't gone far yet. If he is hungry enough chances are he could come looking. You could also put carrier bags around the room or foil so you may be able to hear him moving about.

Good luck, hope he turns up soon
tarotpodge Posted - 29/07/2011 : 09:18:45
i lost phoenix when she was a baby snake. I had given up hope of ever finding her. She was found 9 months later in a newsagents. She had gone through 3 flats and worked her way down into the shop and was found under the till. Haha the shop had one big surprise for them that morning. Luckily i know one of the women that works there and she knew i kept loads of pets so she came knocking. Have you lost a snake....9 months ago yer. When she was returned, she was 3x times bigger than b4 she left. They are quite resorsefull little things. Never give up hope
Aegis Posted - 29/07/2011 : 00:33:18
My mate says both her corns escaped, one was found in a filing cabinet, other outside on a lawn mower. Good luck! Hope you find it soon x
Spreebok Posted - 27/07/2011 : 16:46:55
Only advice I can offer besides all the others is to check even really stupid places. My friend had his young corn get out, only to find her a week later sat in the inside rim of a fleece hat!
a33272 Posted - 27/07/2011 : 16:32:28
quote:
Originally posted by musical2one

Still cannot find the runaway. I have laid out food in each room every night hoping he might eat so I can narrow it down to which room he is in. He isn't eating them at all....does this mean he is gone or dead?

not at all people have found snakes 6-7-8 months after they have escaped including finding them outside, have u made bottle traps etc an tryed dusting door ways an wall edges with flour etc to see if theres any signs of movement.
garrie Posted - 27/07/2011 : 16:19:51
Corns can go a fairly long time without food...don't lose hope yet! I have seen a number of topics on here about people losing their snake - only to find it months later!
Truely wish you the best of luck though, hopefully you won't have to worry too much longer
musical2one Posted - 27/07/2011 : 15:14:32
Still cannot find the runaway. I have laid out food in each room every night hoping he might eat so I can narrow it down to which room he is in. He isn't eating them at all....does this mean he is gone or dead?
lotabob Posted - 26/07/2011 : 20:47:12
quote:
Originally posted by kazza19-72

try pluggin a heat mat in and leaving it in the corner of your room on the floor, place the food bait near the mat but not on it, hopfully he will be attracted to the heat as well as the food, :0)

Its summer, its plenty hot enough for them this time of year.

You need to systematically search every inch of the room, think small dark and safe and thats perfect snake hiding territory. They can get under doors, through gaps under skirting boards and under floors with ease as hatchlings so ideally you want to find it sooner rather than later as it will be on the move at night and could wander further and further away.

And think snake! A cosy area in the middle of the room = something right in the middle of a dangerous open space. Stick to edges.
kazza19-72 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 22:50:10
try pluggin a heat mat in and leaving it in the corner of your room on the floor, place the food bait near the mat but not on it, hopfully he will be attracted to the heat as well as the food, :0)
scottishbluebird Posted - 25/07/2011 : 21:20:46
I am sure he would be fine after the fall, and i really hope you find him soon, Please remember that alot of lost snakes can turn up after a long time,even young ones, just check even the tiniest of spaces
Katie.Dublin Posted - 25/07/2011 : 20:05:36
This might help! http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12170

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000