The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 silly people

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 01/07/2011 : 23:41:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-13982235 what you guys think?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 03/07/2011 : 01:03:41
i read it.....morons, them and the owner, a boa doesnt escape from a locked viv by undoing the lock, latch maybe, both mine did that, and i watched them do it immeadiately after putting them back! but a lock? sorry but not a chance.

In fairness though, a big boa such as that could quite easily kill a child, even an adult, their sheer strength is not to be underestimated.
mikerichards Posted - 03/07/2011 : 00:56:56
not even gonna read it, i know what its gonna say, they all say the same thing every time.
One thing i will say, whilst boas may not constrict in self defense, i can assure you, you dont want a boa around your neck or body that is trying to hold on! a big boa trying to hold on and stopo itself falling can hold very very tight, been there, had that, not round my neck mind, but certainly around arms and legs, its enough to cut the circulation off! A bit from a big boa is not to be sniffed at either, its not even in the same unverse as a corn or king bite, and if they decide to hold on, then thats a whole new ball game that doesnt really bear thinking about!

People deserve to ve warned about a snake on the loose, especially a 7ft boa, not all boas are nicely tempered. however, they need to be reporting more factually and stop making up a load of fear mongering rubbish. They should also point out that the snake is unlikely to survive for more than about 48 hours, our climate simply isnt warm enough, even on the warmest of days the night time temps are too low.

I dont even want to read the article, i will be annoyed then!!
a33272 Posted - 02/07/2011 : 21:48:00
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

scared.

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'm going to write to the BBC and complain - the video promised some 'disturbing images' and I didn't see any :(

They had removed the fading in photo of a33272 at the beginning.

will not retaliate to this

lotabob Posted - 02/07/2011 : 20:43:24
See thats what I meant, elegantly put K, its the wording, that leads people into reading it as a scary event when in reality its not quite so bad. Not taking anything away from a Boa bite, its sore (like getting punched by David Haye with his glove dipped in broken glass) and I wouldn't wish it on a kid, well I wouldn't wish it on most kids. Though your escapee is a super dangerous killer king I've seen the pictures.
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/07/2011 : 19:25:34
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

The only risk was a bite, which is sore and unpleasant but doesn't warrant a news article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7946200.stm

That was 2 years ago, with a snake that was just over 3.5ft long.
It's the news they can make out of it that's important, the fact they can scare everyone who has a fear of snakes that lives within about 10 miles of where the escapes happen makes for a much better story.
Especially seeing as they use words like "poisonous" and "Harm". I doesn't matter the context they are used, most people see the words Escaped snake, Poisonous, harm. in one sentance and it doesn't matter that the sentance could be along the lines of "There is an escaped snake in London, it's not poisonous and will do no harm if it is cornered" That will instantly freak out loads of people.
We have what is a disadvantage because we are snake keepers, we don't see what the issue is and simply cannot place ourselves into the boots of the people that are scared of them.

Some good can come of it as well, when Trio escaped I got a brief chat about it from the local rag on the phone who then invited me to one of the radio stations to do a small 1 hour slot as a Q&A in regards snakes to answer questions that the general public would have about them.
You'd be surprised at how many pensioners believe they are slimy horrible things, but are not really scared of them, yet the age range 30-50 are the ones that are most scared.

quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'm going to write to the BBC and complain - the video promised some 'disturbing images' and I didn't see any :(

They had removed the fading in photo of a33272 at the beginning.
eeji Posted - 02/07/2011 : 18:39:10
gmac Posted - 02/07/2011 : 18:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Would you have called them before checking under the furniture?

I was talking about the responses above as to the eating a kid bit, and the joke that is the wrong info through the article and key words used to draw you into a starving giant monster on the loose, I know its news and needds sexing up a bit but factual info and proper advise would be far better.

The only risk was a bite, which is sore and unpleasant but doesn't warrant a news article.

wasnt under furniture was under the kitchen sink, a bite from one of these animals is gonna hurt like hell imagine a 2-3 year old taking a hit from this. I cant imagine the pain and fear the kid would feel.

how long do you wait before you decide to let folks know a large snake has went missing. Seems fair to me as if the snake had gotten out and bitten a child that young the press would have been a lot worse than oh we found it it was in the house.
lotabob Posted - 02/07/2011 : 17:53:16
Would you have called them before checking under the furniture?

I was talking about the responses above as to the eating a kid bit, and the joke that is the wrong info through the article and key words used to draw you into a starving giant monster on the loose, I know its news and needds sexing up a bit but factual info and proper advise would be far better.

gmac Posted - 02/07/2011 : 17:45:23
no boas dont constrict in defense they Bite, i dont think it says anywhere that the snake will eat a child, BUT what it does say is that the snake is not particularly friendly so will more than likely strike out if threatened, even if it were under a bush and a kids ball or the likes went under and the kid went to retrieve it, that will do some serious damage to a kid.

I think the owners were correct in letting the authorities know as Ii would be pretty upset if my kids had been bitten by a rather unfriendly, unpredictable large snake that people knew had escaped and is known for biting.
lotabob Posted - 02/07/2011 : 17:39:38
What a crock of ''brown stuff''. Firstly what is with the '' marks everywhere, thats annoying. Hungry is a concept of a constantly active digestive system, someone please tell them that if its not got food in the stomach its shut down to save energy, hunger doesn't play a part which is whythey are opportunistic feeders. Boas DON'T break locks, doesn't matter how big it was that door was left open and by that video it was under a piece of furniture, who wouldn't check under the furniture and lastly but by no means the end of the list of errors, Boa's dont eat kids, 7 foot Boa's would struggle to down anything bigger than a rabbit and Boa's dont constrict in defense so very little chance of that happening to a kid, and if you get within range of a 7 foot snake you dont know you should expect to get bitten and be surprised if you dont. Keep your pets indoors is about the only bit of sound advice in this situation, if your pets are rabbits or something similar.
a33272 Posted - 02/07/2011 : 12:21:03
And serve the kid right. How would they like being poked with a stick hehe
Sta~ple Posted - 02/07/2011 : 09:19:42
I don;t want to sound dumb but a 7ft boa really eat a kid that is able to play on the street? I think not so why warn kids to stay indoors? :/ and if a kid gets bit by poking it with a stick at least they would have found the snake.
a33272 Posted - 02/07/2011 : 06:35:04
people often lose/have snakes escape cant see why its a big deal or on a new page

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000