The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 snake keeping and you

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rake Posted - 23/06/2011 : 19:38:05
ok i thought this would be a nice way for a good chat and some interesting stories as we all have a common interest,

what got you as a individual in to snake keeping ? long answers short answers welcome them all, see what we can come up with

for me it was my 3 year old when i asked her what pet she wanted all i heard for several weeks was snake....now im addicted as well lol although i always use to be a dog person (1 german shepherd khan, doberman pinscher jack) im am now a snake addict with my corn derek and garter jaws
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HERICUS Posted - 26/06/2011 : 15:41:57
ive always wanted a snake, parents would never let me, my long term ex was always dead against me getting one, it was just never meant to happen!

now live with a wonderful woman who after 12 months of me constantly going on about snakes and how nice they are, finally caved in and agreed to let Lucy the sunglow take pride and place in her tank next to the sofa!!!
although she wont handle her yet, i secretly think she likes her abit aswell!!!!
Lucy1012 Posted - 25/06/2011 : 19:18:58
We too live in a small petting zoo, with various small fulffies, fish, cats and dog. My husband had out his foot down to rabbits, chickens and a skunk, so a snake was a compromise as he can't trip over one of those. So I got my first corn snake for my 30th and now have 7 (4 corns, 3 royals)... I wasn't allowed to have pet's in tanks/cages ad a child so i think i am making up for it now. I am currently looking into getting some white's tree frogs, owning snakes has certainly opened my eyes to a whole new world of pet keeping, hopefully my husband will be back to full wages soon after breaking his foot, andi can save my pennies and indulge myself some more ;-)
Spreebok Posted - 24/06/2011 : 21:48:43
I'd always wanted a reptile, since I was tiny, I've always been animal mad! I've tried to convince the 'rents a few times, and when my friend was offering a few of her 6 month olds for sale, I tried my luck on again, and they said okay! That is after I bargained with them and said I'd move my 60ltr fish tank downstairs, as they'd always been iffy about the weight being up there.
So, I got Lister in Feb, Rimmer in March and Psiren in May! They are indeed addictive! I'm happy with my corns now, I wouldn't want anymore, I'd consider maybe something else such as a Chammy, Leo or Beardie, but thats for when I move out :)
ntbryenton-rochard Posted - 24/06/2011 : 16:30:18
I liked snakes but was never interested in keeping them as pets until a friend of mine asked if I wanted her teens snake as he wasn't interested in him anymore and as she has a small baby, she didn't have the time to give him the attention he deserved. At first I said no as I already have a house full of pets and kids but when I told my husband about it he looked so dissapointed that I caved and said that I would take the snake in. I fell in love with him the first time that I went to see him and he felt like part of the family within days of bringing him home. Now I just couldn't imagine life without him, we have only had him for just over a month but it feels like he has always been with us.
LucyB Posted - 24/06/2011 : 09:41:56
My son had a reptile party for his 5th birthday and spent the next 6 months begging for a snake.... he convinced me, so I spent the next 18 months begging hubby for a snake. He finally caved in 5 weeks ago and allowed me to rehome a 3yr old carolina corn who was looking for a new home - 3 1/2 weeks later we now also have a royal python hatchling - It's true what everyone says. I it totsally addictive!!!
Ashma Posted - 24/06/2011 : 08:25:31
I'd wanted a snake from about the age of 13, but my mother is literally terrified of them. As a result it never looked likely that I would get one at home.
After leaving university at 21 I came home to start work and ended up back with my parents; which became a big issue and we clashed A LOT. Me and my mother eventually had a heart to heart and sorted out our issues and she said 'what can we do to make your stay here more comfortable' to which I said, 'give me control of my room and what goes into it'. Of course, she immediately realised that was a round about way of saying 'let me have a snake'. Bought Theo the Anery in June last year, soon after my girlfriend bought Pixie her little Snow. February this year I added Cleo the normal to the family and now I'm moved out and in my own place......well, I think I might need a snake room myself!
lotabob Posted - 24/06/2011 : 00:25:30
I was one of those kids that picked up bugs and was fascinated in animals. I've had lots of different animals and insects over the years. Its also been said tabout a link between liking reptiles and a childhood fascination with Dinosaurs and I loved Dino's. Had Gecko's but my Mum (who had no idea about reptile care) thought they were been neglected as I only fed them every other day and she had them rehomed when I was away for a few days, bit gutted to say the least. I was also bitten by an Adder as a child, it did me no favours, leg stopped working and I was laid up for about a week as my leg split and cracked (yuk). About a year ago I started to properly research geting a snake, I had no idea how easy they are to care for and 3 snakes later i enjoy every second with them.
scottishbluebird Posted - 23/06/2011 : 23:12:03
My sons kitten died 2 days after getting neutered, turned out she had FIP, feline peritenitis, he was devastated, the OH sister had just got a royal ball python baby, we went to visit, ian wanted one, waited a month to see if he changed his mind, he never, constantly giving him choice of kitten/snake, i diddnt mind if he got bored of snake as i love all animals, but he really loves Kellogs
Sta~ple Posted - 23/06/2011 : 22:52:33
I wanted a snke, so got one for I think my 11th birthday. Nearly 22 and I still have my lovely guy :D
nusnakemum Posted - 23/06/2011 : 22:30:19
All down to my little lad after we had an animal experience birthday party and him wanting to be the new Steve Backshall (kids deadly 60 programme !!) - we got Clyde in May and adore him and maybe just maybe may get another - did i really type that out loud - dont tell my boy !!!
Nicole.x Posted - 23/06/2011 : 22:18:22
When I was very young (talking like 3/4) my neighbour had pretty much turned their living room into in 'snake room' - fascinated me ;L
They used to allow me and my sister to hold a few of them and I've wanted one since.
Got my first 6 weeks ago as an early 18th present and I've already got a list of other snakes I would love
Mort13 Posted - 23/06/2011 : 21:33:41
I've had a love of all animals since being a small child. In my early teens I came upon a grass snake and became fascinated with reps.
Finally in my early twenties I got a couple of bearded dragons and then 2 chameleons,my partner at the time had a burmese python too. Anyway I fell pregnant and most of the animals were rehomed.
I contemplated getting a corn snake a few years back but thought guinea pigs may be best for my kids as I wasn't sure how they'd be in regards to feeding mice.
However,last year my kids and I went to stay with some friends and they had a corn snake,the kids watched him feed and were amazed. Following this they asked if they could buy one with their pocket money and picked Loki. I became smitten and bought Falcor for myself,and snakes 6 and 7 should be joining the family later this year!
Vixyg Posted - 23/06/2011 : 21:32:51
Id wanted a snake for years but my parents wouldnt have them in the house, then with college and uni i was all over the place, i then went onto work in germany for 6 months then i ran a miniature animal park and riding school/rescue centre in south of france while living in spain and was there for 5 years and was working ALL the time and in between that having my son i never got round to it. Now im settled in one place, sons at school and i only work part time i thought it was about time i got started on my collection that i have always wanted. Spent a couple of months buying the setup and everything i needed for when i found a corn snake. It took me 3 months to find chilli and ive not looked back, cant wait to get some more but need to start the building up of the setup process all over again!
animalcrazy Posted - 23/06/2011 : 20:54:16
I had never had reptiles at all until April, grew up with pretty much everything else, especially dogs, . I have 6 now and my parents have 7love most animals to be honest.

A friend was struggling to look after his corn due to a virus leaving him brain damaged so I agreed, after researching them as a breed, to re-home Colin, 6 weeks later I rescued Horatio as well.
I'm going to Donny on Sunday...
tordyjo Posted - 23/06/2011 : 20:46:35
We've kept animals for ages of all kinds, went to the pet shop (not pets at home) for some rabbit food and looked at the reptile section starting talking to the shop keeper about them and how to look after them, did some of my own research and that was it now have two
Karakal Posted - 23/06/2011 : 20:45:24
I studied Animal Management for two years and as part of the course we had to look after all of the animals at the unit and college which varied from large farm animals to rabbits to birds and raptors to aquatics to reptiles!! Turned out I'm allergic to pretty much all fluffy things! I thoroughly enjoyed working with the scaley beasties bt after the course finished I never really thought I would get one as it was a cost issue at time, and I honestly wanted lizardy creatures instead of a snake!
That was all back in 2004, I then got talking with one of my colleages at work on a course and turned out she needed to give up one of her corns.. ANd I almost took her hand off for him. xD
I surprised myself rather, I will admit but I think it was better for me not to rush into reptile keeping fresh out of college, it has given me a lot of time to think about what sort of reptile would be best for me with my work arrangements and cost wise. :3 I already want a second snake however!!
Newbie Posted - 23/06/2011 : 20:11:27
I've always had different pets but had fancied a snake for a while, parents always said a flat no, but my very tolerant boyfriend bought me a corn for christmas! It's terribly addictive, just picked up a little BRB today
MsThomson Posted - 23/06/2011 : 20:02:54
My daughter is getting a snake in august for her birthday. this is after a year of pestering me (me being all noooowayisasnakegettinginmyhouse!) so i researched and found that after all they were quite appealing wee creatures! Then I held one in a pet shop and that was it. hooked! bought one for myself very soon after :) Lola is still getting one in august that will be hers *coughmine. :)
vllb Posted - 23/06/2011 : 19:58:34
my son wanted a snake for his birthday last Feb, we now have 8 corns (picked up a 2 wk old snow corn last night)
tarotpodge Posted - 23/06/2011 : 19:57:23
Always had lots of pets since i was tiny. Always badgering my parents for one thing or another. Im known for taking in unwanted pets from friends/friends of friends. Cant ever pass by a pet who needs a loving home. But have (temporarily)closed doors on any more arrivals. At the point where even my kids say "no more pets mum!". Animals are the only thing that keeps me sane. Would be a very boring place without them.

Got my first snake after my college course in animal care. Loved the reptile unit and fascinated by them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000