The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Doesn't give me much confidance!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie Posted - 21/06/2011 : 18:40:41
Heard about a rep shop nearby today that I didn't realize existed, so wandered down to take a look. Wandered in and first thought was "Wow, lots of species!", then "Hmmm we're co-habiting quite a bit", noticed the Kings weren't co-habited thank god.

Asked about a young Bci only to be told that it was a Royal! I must have looked astounded, so I recieved further assurance that it was one of the many different morphs! God knows what it was co-habited with, I couldn't see the head of the 2nd snake but the body was solid colour and not Bci-like.

There was also a corn co-habiting with a Bairds-Corn cross.

Don't think I'll be going back, the snakes appeared healthy but they can't be happpy co-habiting with other species surely? Also not sure about the guidance the shop owner would give!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tarotpodge Posted - 22/06/2011 : 18:52:21
National diploma, GP. Surely knowledge is a good thing when working with animal welfare and giving advise...obviously i was wrong.
gingerpony Posted - 22/06/2011 : 13:49:04
BTEC diploma as in National or First or Higher? HND i could kinda understand somebody thinking you were 'over qualified'........maybe!

i think pet shop staff should be formally qualified, BUT, unfortunately that would probably mean having to pay staff more, and would potentially exclude really enthusiastic knowledgeable teenagers from 'helping out' to gain more knowledge/experience.......

maybe tighter licensing with higher standards would be the way forward?
tarotpodge Posted - 22/06/2011 : 13:03:54
I also did a btech diploma in animal care but am "over qualified" to work in a pet shop...And yes that was the reason i was given to not getting the job!!!!
Vixyg Posted - 22/06/2011 : 08:11:17
I would say they should have special reptile training as well as general animal training, as I have a degree in Animal science and psycology ( yes psycology for animals just call me dolittle!)and as part of it i did a year of animal husbandry practices and I still wouldnt feel equipped to be selling snakes and giving advice as the topic of reptiles was barely touched upon in any of my training anyway. More stringent guidelines should be set for shops selling them.
Newbie Posted - 21/06/2011 : 21:55:46
I agree GP, saddens me that potentially novice owners will listen to the advice provided and end up making mistakes which could be dangerous for them and/or for the snake I honestly believe a certificate of training in animal management should be required for petshop ownership.

The poor Bci being mis-sold as a Royal might end up in incorrect conditions, and eventually a rehoming centre or being passed on if somebody inexperienced purchases it as a Royal and subsequently cannot house a larger, heavier bodied snake. Such a shame
gingerpony Posted - 21/06/2011 : 20:13:18
if people see it done in a shop (short-term) then they think it's ok and that everybody houses snakes like that

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000