The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 when to move from pinkies to fluffy/fuzzy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HERICUS Posted - 18/06/2011 : 11:38:41
hey guys,

my snake Lucy now taking 3 pinkies, she was on two for a while and then would still seem hungry, moving around looking for food, so i tried her with a 3rd small pinkie and she took it no problem.
it is because they are too small? she isnt that big a snake for her age,(sept'10)
or should i just her with fuzzys and see how she does?

also ive read u shouldnt handle snake the day of the feed, just wondered if this was something everyone else did?

sorry for being abit of a novice but just want to do things the right way!!!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 19/06/2011 : 10:49:54
I haven't noticed any problems with mine when I have handled them on the day of a feed. The only ones I avoid handling on feeding day are the ones who are temperamental feeders like my male hoggie and Izzy, so I can keep any potential stress to the bare minimum.
ptmbradley Posted - 18/06/2011 : 12:21:45
3 pinkies probably comes in at 6g, whereas a single small fuzzy only weighs about 4g and a large one about 6g. I've got some quite small ones so tried my 2 smallest snakes on them yesterday for the first time and they took them no trouble at all.

I also read somewhere about not handling them on the day of a feed, but that's one of the few times in the week that mine DO get handled and it hasn't caused any problems. But it's important I think to follow the 48 hour rule following a feed, as gmac mentioned above.
gmac Posted - 18/06/2011 : 11:54:20
quote:
Originally posted by HERICUS

hey guys,

she was on two for a while and then would still seem hungry, moving around looking for food,
it is because they are too small? she isnt that big a snake for her age,(sept'10)
or should i just her with fuzzys and see how she does?

Is more likely because snakes will eat until they pop, they are opportunistic and will pretty much eat given the opportunity. Fuzzies should be fine so long as the prey is no greater than 1.5 x the snakes width at its thickest point.

Handling before you feed should be ok, after a feed don't handle for 2 days to let it digest in peace.
Ailsa Posted - 18/06/2011 : 11:42:17
If your snake can manage 3 pinkies I'm sure moving to a fuzzy would not be a problem, just compare the size of the fuzzy to the thickest part of your snake and it should be no bigger that 1.5 times the size of snakes at thickest (I think)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000