The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 nervous snake & nervous handler!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HERICUS Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:09:40
ive had my snake Lucy about a month and i love her to bits but she really really doesnt like to be handled.
everytime i try she gets agitated, shakes her tail, coils up as if to bite me and then makes a quick getaway. i know i should just pick her up and then she'll calm down after a min but i just panic everytime!!
any suggestions other than to just man up an do it!!!?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 12/06/2011 : 19:21:08
shes more scared of you than you are of her.. if she knows that you will put her down or back off every time she makes a S shape and shakes her tail then its just reinforcing her actions..
she won't hurt you if she does try and tag you
Mamma Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:34:56
No worries. And thank you xx
HERICUS Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:32:50
yeah i think thats more what the fear is, the thought of being bitten off a snake, even tho i know its not really gona hurt and it defo aint gona kill me! like the idea of the sock tho think i'll give that a try.
i fed her this morning so i'll try the sock and see how she reacts to being picked up mid week.
Thanks for that.
ps really like your snake madame min!
a33272 Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:30:38
what size snake we talking her 4-5 ft??? as u said its just a case of growing some balls an talking a hit like a man, the chance of a bite is slim more likely be a headbutt, if u are worried about a bit get some gardening gloves for handling until she starts to get used to it. once uve initally got her out shes much less to go for u
Mamma Posted - 12/06/2011 : 18:27:11
You should continue to just pick her up reguardless of the tail shaking. The more you put her back down the more she realises that you will do this and will continously tail shake etc at you. The majority of corns will not strike you (unless they think you are food, which really only happens during feed times and by complete accident). Small corns do not hurt when they do tag you. (havent been tagged by a full grown one so dont know what that is like) With the small corns its more the shock of getting tagged. Their teeth feel like velcro (to me anyway).

If you need her to become more accustomed to your smell then carry a sock around with you for 24 hrs (in your pocket) Then place it in snakes home. The snake will begin to recognise your scent. It worked wonders for me with my adult corn when I gave him his new home. It was a more experienced member on this forum who advised me to try it. And it has worked superbly.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000