The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LynneM_212 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 16:37:56
Hey Guys,

As some of you may know i recently rescued a corn snake that is rougly 3 years old... been told it is a boy... weight was around 390g...

When i got him he was beign fed 1 small mouse a week, and i could tell that just wasnt enough, as it wasnt leaving a lump or anything ...

So i upped him to a large mouse once a week.... he has been having this for a while.... now it still doesnt leave a lump and most times he is out the next day again all active!!

So Question.... should i up him to something bigger... if so what?? and should i keep feeding him once a week if i do up the size of his food??

Thanks Guys
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Only1Nitro Posted - 11/06/2011 : 22:07:09
i must weigh one lol
lotabob Posted - 11/06/2011 : 22:03:16
I'm not saying that what you are feeding her isn't the right size, what I'm saying is that maybe what you are calling a rat weaner is infact smaller than what I would call a rat weaner. (runs to freezer...)

OK just to clarify my thinking, on the left is a medium mouse 16grams, (I don't have any large) and on the right a small weaner rat 43 grams.

Purely off the information of 3 foot long I would not have thought that a cornsnake of that length would be capable of eating a weaner rat. It just sounds too big and my immediate thinking was maybe you have the name of what you are feeding wrong rather than thinking your over feeding your snake which I know you wouldn't be doing.

Only1Nitro Posted - 11/06/2011 : 21:33:40
she doesn't struggle to eat them her weight is fine and as i said they are about 1.5 times her thickest part
lotabob Posted - 11/06/2011 : 21:29:27
I think there is some confusion about rat sizes here, its very understandable as the rat sizes seem to be called different things in different places. I use weight and the guide I found on RFUK to just keep in my mind whats what and it seems to be a really good guide to keep everyone on the same page. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/16801-mouse-rat-size-chart.html (I hope nobody minds me linking to it but its useful).

As you can see that weaner rat is the equivalent size/weight to a XL mouse and at three feet long its unlikely for a corn snake to need that large a prey item, i think this is where the concern has come from. in the shop I use what the guide call pups they call a small weaner rat and pinkies are pups so as you can see its easy to get confused. On that note my 800+ grams python was eating weaner rats upto a few weeks ago so alarm bells rang when you said your corn eats weaner rats.
Only1Nitro Posted - 11/06/2011 : 21:14:58
she is 3 foot the weeners are about 1.5 times bigger than her
gingerpony Posted - 11/06/2011 : 06:47:09
quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

Ok so i just weighed a large frozen mousr where i get thm from an it was 23g actually i weighed 3 and they all came out the same weight!! That ounds so small comparrd to what you guys were jst talking about

one man's medium mouse is another man's large mouse!

what one shop sells as a medium, another shop might call a large as there's no standard grading system in place but as a guide i go by what TSM call small, medium, large etc.

and in response to your original query i'd continue feeding how you are doing and monitor his weight as he's still growing though not as quickly
Invalid User Posted - 10/06/2011 : 23:27:10
quote:
Originally posted by Only1Nitro

shes fine with weeners they are just right for her

How big is she?
Only1Nitro Posted - 10/06/2011 : 23:04:19
shes fine with weeners they are just right for her
Invalid User Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:43:43
No I was saying the wearner rats I get are far too big for a corn!

I have a corn who is simlar weight to yours and she is on a large mouse every week.

Once they get to adult size the food doesn't have to leave a bump.
LynneM_212 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:22:57
Ok so i just weighed a large frozen mousr where i get thm from an it was 23g actually i weighed 3 and they all came out the same weight!! That ounds so small comparrd to what you guys were jst talking about
LynneM_212 Posted - 10/06/2011 : 22:18:36
Ok now im completly confused!! I dont even know if the shop sell extra large mice!! So what are you guys in general thinking xlarge mice or weaner rats and how often?? The large mice dont show at all and he now weighs about 409g which im pleased with as i felt he was a little starved shall i say!! Helpp

abd large, i just go by what they offer i didnt want to move him up to quick!! all i wrigh frozen one and get back to you?
Invalid User Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:50:35
I buy weaner rats for the boas and they are 60g!

gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:44:43
weaner rats tend to be 50g+ depending on where you buy them, my XL mice are only 35-45g each!!
Only1Nitro Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:33:30
i feed mine weener rats
gingerpony Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:15:12
what do you call a 'large' mouse though?
kdlang Posted - 10/06/2011 : 21:07:44
I would probably move it to xlarge mice every 10-14 days. You don't want him to get fat so I wouldn't feed weekly on xlarge

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000