The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Never again!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scar2003snake Posted - 06/06/2011 : 11:53:39
I just had to take the skin of Scar's eye just now....as he was having trouble shedding....first time ive ever had to do that...frightened the hell outa me as he was being rather agressive...Once i got it off, he did a complete shed within minutes..
y do u think that happened!! Scar is ok now and so im i...lol..
Im gona leave him alone for a few hours...

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 06/06/2011 : 18:24:57
What made you think he was struggling? Intervention is a last resort. This 'Once i got it off, he did a complete shed within minutes' sounds so wrong. A retained eye cap is what's left after a bad shed not that the eye cap gets stuck and sticks the whole shed too. I have a feeling you intervened when it was not necessary and as said above messing about around their eyes is something you want to really know what you are doing before thinking of trying it. I hope you haven't caused any damage to that eye, and in future just leave them to it while they shed and only intervene when, a damp hide, or a damp pillowcase etc has not worked.
Invalid User Posted - 06/06/2011 : 13:12:26
I'm not surprised he was being agressive!
gingerpony Posted - 06/06/2011 : 13:09:04
quote:
Originally posted by scar2003snake

I just had to take the skin of Scar's eye just now....as he was having trouble shedding....Once i got it off, he did a complete shed within minutes..

so he just hadn't shed yet........why intervene when he wasn't ready? what made you think he was having a problem??
stuart619 Posted - 06/06/2011 : 13:04:42
How old is he? I only ask because the only times I have had problem shedders is with my young corns.

I got into the habbit of giving them a light misting once their eyes went clear after the blue stage.

A misting once a day for 2 or 3 days wont do any harm and might help aiding the shedding process.

Another option is to provide a moist moss hide and make sure that there is something for him to rub against to take the skin off. If the conditions are right then there shouldn't be too many problems during sheds.

If you have to remove any part of the shed (including the eye caps) the safest way is to let the snake slide through a damp towel a few times, this will normally take any shed off that is left behind.

<<EDIT>>

I didn't read it properly I thought you were talking about retain eye caps. As pointed out below, if he was only starting the shed it could be problematic to intervene. They are evolved enough to do it on their own. It may look like he is strugglin but trust me he will know what he is doing and instinct will ensure that he does the job properly as long as the conditions are correct.
kdlang Posted - 06/06/2011 : 12:08:05
Crikey your braver than me. I'm not sure I would want to remove an eyecap without someone with me who knew what they were doing. I'd worry too much about damaging the eye and end up shaking too much

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000