The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Its driving me nuts!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tracym Posted - 25/05/2011 : 17:45:23
Well Keo has been missing for 5 days now and its driving me nuts!

He is so small and could have gone anywhere. I have searched and searched and searched again. I have put down bottle traps, left little dishes of water everywhere, crept about at night incase he comes out and even took the bottom off of the leather sofa's. I can't sit still because I think 'Oh I wonder if he is there' and when he is not I'm disappointed.
Every morning we come down we check he has not crawled back into his lovely warm viv but no still nothing.
How long will the search go on? I think its the not knowing that kills me the most.
Have any of you actually lost a corn that never turned up?
Sorry if I have gone a bit but the searching and waiting is agony!!
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tracym Posted - 29/05/2011 : 10:10:27
Hi Scottishbluebird
Thanks for your comment. I think the hardest thing is not knowing where to start looking. Keo had access to the whole house once he had escaped and could be in any room! we have ruled out the living room as we have literally taken it apart, having said that will he re enter the living room when he is on walk about?
It is the most frustrating thing I have encountered and keep looking in the same places incase he has moved around. Its not so bad when I am work because you can forget about it for a bit but its half term this week and I can see I am gonna be on alert all week. But as people have said he may just turn up in a week or two by which time i will probably have gone mad!!!
scottishbluebird Posted - 28/05/2011 : 21:52:42
Tracy, i really hope she turn up soon,i read a post how the dont go far? Is that typical? and does it make any difference if young or older? It is a major worry for me if Kellogs were to escape as iv been told they are worse than ferrets at escape!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 28/05/2011 : 01:01:31
sorry hun u asked if anyone had lost one that had never turnt up :(
dont give up hope tho, i have holes in the wall in the room she was in so im pretty sure shes gone in there, but im not gna give up, i still think shes alive in the house somewhere, i have her set up ready for when she comes back :)
tracym Posted - 27/05/2011 : 13:29:21
FiestaSTLou, I really didn't want to hear that!!! lol
FiestaSTLou Posted - 27/05/2011 : 09:42:20
We lost our Jenny last october and she still hasnt turned up :( we placed bottle caps of water, bottle traps, and plastic bags round the edges of the room and took apart everything, but still havnt had any luck, dont give up hope tho hun, im not, u always hear stories of peoples snakeys turning up monthes after going missing, i know its a horrible feeling :( chin up hun.
tracym Posted - 27/05/2011 : 08:17:47
Thanks snow stripe, gonna try the flour tonight in all door openings and around the edge of every room and see if we can at least see if he is still here and maybe which room. The thawing mice thing might work if I know which room he is in.
snowstripe420 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 23:12:32
Has anyone ever tried placing 6 or 7 thawing mice around the floor on little saucers? Maybe the scent of a bunch of mice dethawing at once would increase the scent level and maybe coax him out if hiding? Id gladly spend the 10$ on mice to try it... Id try it at night, with a dim light if possible. Sit there for a few hours, without getting up and watch for movemwnt. Mabey have your spouse in another room, also monitering the mice??? Idn. Just a thought.
a33272 Posted - 26/05/2011 : 08:39:00
there is every chance he could of got up the stairs, but depends on size of snake and if they are any good at climbing, some snakes dont do stairs even as adults. the flour will be fine to use on carpets as it will just hoover up
tracym Posted - 26/05/2011 : 08:11:10
Thank you guys, I'm glad you understand how I feel. People at work think I'm mad and don't understand.
The viv is in the living room and the door was open giving him access to the hallway and stairs, do you think he could have climbed the stairs?
I can definitely say he is not in the living room as I have searched every inch of it. I haven't done the flour thing yet as we have carpet everywhere but I will start to put flour in the bedroom doorways (on the metal strip thing)
Thanks for all your comments and encouragement.
T:)
thistle Posted - 25/05/2011 : 23:52:04
Sorry, don't have any more advise. I just wanted to say that I hope Keo turns up soon, I can only imagine how you must be feeling.
snowstripe420 Posted - 25/05/2011 : 23:06:36
I have lost Otis twice. Both times i was out of town taking care of my mother after a surgery. Luckly, i made the 45 min drive home both nights to check up on him. Both nights he had escaped. Both times found him about 10 feet away rapped around the post of my bed. We didnt find him for half an hour the first time, which made me go CRAZYYY! So i know how you feel. Best of luck to you. He most likely didnt go far. He probably found the first warm, dark, tight place he could find. I would start with a veryy strict search of the 10ft proximity of the viv. work your way out. Best of luck. Prayer go out to the lil guy ;)
kdlang Posted - 25/05/2011 : 22:32:09
Oh Tracy I really do feel for you. I lost Carmellia only a couple of days after we moved house. I was so exhausted from the move that when I changed her water one evening I must have forgotten to close her viv. I only noticed the next night when I went to bed and gave them a quick check. I was gutted. My bedroom was full of boxes and furniture in pieces ready to be put back together. There was absolutely no way I could search my room. Add to that I still didn't have carpet on the landing and I was petrified she would go down the floorboards or that the cat would get her. I put flour down in my bedroom doorway and put down several water bowls all with flour around them so that I could see if she used any so I would have an idea where she was. I even tried a bottle trap as, since she hadn't eaten for about 4 weeks, I was sure she would be starving. Nothing worked and there was no sign. A couple of days later, I turned my bedroom light on when I went to get dressed and just happened to spot her working her way up a stack of drawers. She was only about 4ft from her viv.
Thankfully Carmellia was only missing for a few days but the fear was awful and the relief I felt when I found her was incredible.

I was the same as you, always thinking of places she could be, not being able to settle. Please don't give up hope. Have you tried putting flour down to see if you can find tracks? I know you probably have but have you checked behind radiators and around pipes. Being such a small snake she could be difficult to spot and she can curl up very small. Other than that the only thing I can suggest is make sure you check your washing before you put it in the machine and check any other equipment before you use it. There have been incidents of snakes turning up after many months so don't lose hope.
Mort13 Posted - 25/05/2011 : 18:28:57
Oh no,I can only imagine how upsetting this must be. I've though one of mine has gone walkies before now and even the thought of it gave me a mini heart attck!
I do know people have lost them and had them turn up months later,so I know its easier said than done but try not to give up hope.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000