The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Quick question about heat mats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vivtastic Posted - 20/05/2011 : 22:35:30
Can heat mats vary in temperature by 1 or 2 degrees at various points on the mat?. Iattached the thermometer probe to the thermostat probe and then to the heat mat but when i seperated the thermometer probe and put it at another location the temp was a few degrees higher. Never tried this before so was wondering is this usual and if so whats the reason for it?.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vivtastic Posted - 21/05/2011 : 00:58:46
Thanks very much for that, it supports what i have found myself. You would not imagine there would be quite that much difference would you.

Kindest regards

Vivtastic
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/05/2011 : 00:42:14
I have found they can vary, yes.
The higher the temp, the greater the variation. I think I've measured 67c on one side of a mat, and 6 inches away 72c.
The reason being is that they're contact heaters, so the more contact they have the better they heat up.
So if you have a mat with something resting on 1 side but not on the other, then the side that has something resting on it will quite often be a different temp to the one that's open to the air.

This is the reason why a lot of people tend to cover the mats with something like lino, as it gives better protection on the connector block for risk of damp and better heat consistencies.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000