The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Weird Behaviour

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alyson19802 Posted - 17/05/2011 : 13:40:43
Hi All

Just wanted to see if anyone can shed any light on Bailey's strange behaviour for me

Last night I tried to feed him again (I have downsized his dinner to a jumbo mouse) did the usual and wiggled it about etc and the decided to leave it with him for 24 hours as not to cause him any more stress.. ( He didn't eat again but this is not the strange thing. I have had him a month now and he has not eaten yet.

After closing over the viv and leaving the mouse inside with him he decided to have a drink and then after a couple of seconds pulled his head back out abrubtly and started shaking it side to side really quickly, I can't really describe it better than that.

I continued to watch him as I wasn't sure if he was distressed or not and then he started opening his mouth in a gaping fashion( I am not sure if he was making any noise as the viv was closed and I didn't want to scare him by opening it)and then scratching his head off his log quiet hard.

He did this for a couple of minutes and then stopped and continued exploring his viv

If I have left any vital info out please just say trying to remember it all and write it down in a non ranting fashion

All temps are fine and he is super active spending most of his days trying to find ways out f the viv and coming straight out as soon as I open it to check or change his water etc

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alyson19802 Posted - 19/05/2011 : 08:10:41
Cool thank you Ill get on it this evening thanks a million
lotabob Posted - 18/05/2011 : 21:43:34
He may be pushing water into his nasal cavity (a big hole in the roof of his mouth that leads to the nostrils) as he drinks.

I have seen 2 of mine drink and then sneeze, if its not happening at any other time I wouldn't worry, but just monitor the situation, sneezing and gaping are signs of RI but if its just after a drink and no other time its less likely to be illness, more likely to have water in his nose.

To put your mind at ease though rinse the bowl out very well and use bottled water only just putting about 5mm full in the bottom, they dont drink much. It most likely won't make any differene but it will rule out your bowl or water been the problem.
Alyson19802 Posted - 18/05/2011 : 21:31:40
@Lotta no he drinks like a dog lol
lotabob Posted - 18/05/2011 : 21:30:32
Does he dunk his head? My Boa always seems to put her head right into the water and comes up and sneezes.
Alyson19802 Posted - 18/05/2011 : 19:52:07
Right now I am worried I came in this evening and gave Bailey's viv a spot clean ans put fresh water in for him.
Again he went straight to his water bowl and drank and again straight after thrashed his head all over the place and then about a min of him gaping its almost like the water tadtes funny if that sounds weird I know ! any ideas ?
Alyson19802 Posted - 18/05/2011 : 07:01:26
Ahhhh that could be it lol
kdlang Posted - 17/05/2011 : 22:40:44
Is it possible he could have got water up his nose and it irritated him
Alyson19802 Posted - 17/05/2011 : 19:40:26
I dont think so but as he is so pale its not.noticeble if it has I am thinking of taking him back to the reptile shop to ask the guy to look at him
ozziesmum Posted - 17/05/2011 : 19:30:24
Did he shed completely or could some of the head be left on without you noticing.
Alyson19802 Posted - 17/05/2011 : 19:23:12
He shed two weeks ago is that normal
Invalid User Posted - 17/05/2011 : 17:35:05
Sounds like what they do when they are going to shed. The yawning type thing and the head rubbing.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000