The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Widget vs String

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:11:22
So today I used the serpwidget ( http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html ) for the first time and thought I would compare the results to the good old fashioned string method that I normally use.

With the string, Lupin came out as aprox 2ft 11 inches.

Using the pic below and the widget, he came out at 3ft 4 inches.

Pretty close I guess and if you take both and go somwhere inbetween I could say he is aprox 3ft 1 inch

Would be interesting to see if anyone else gets close results. I may try a few more of the snakes later. Would like to see how long my brb is
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowstripe420 Posted - 17/05/2011 : 03:09:19
Louise your BRB is sooo Beautiful!!
Only1Nitro Posted - 16/05/2011 : 23:48:32
my first corn now stands at a whopping 45 inches im so proud
Only1Nitro Posted - 15/05/2011 : 21:18:13
just used this and our snow corn is exactly 2 ft seems good
zandefloss Posted - 15/05/2011 : 15:20:47
Lixra - I would not put duct tape into the snakeys tub, if they get accidently stuck then it can be very serious :S Perhaps you could try sticking it under the tub, or using a piece of paper?

zan x
Ailsa Posted - 15/05/2011 : 14:30:03
I did it wrong first time i used it, it said my hatchling was 21cm and i was like hmm that's not right, so i re measured her this time taking my time and carefully tracing the spine and it then said she was 52cm, which just by looking at her length i'd say it is right
Lixra Posted - 15/05/2011 : 13:20:49
I used it yesterday and made a huge screw-up

I measured out what I thought was 3 inches on duct-tape and placed it in the tub, took overhead shots while I was sterlizing the hatchlings tubs and went off to do the program thingie. My husband comes up stairs to ask how it was going, and very proudly I said "Madonna (our 2010 Plasma) is 30 inches!"... well the look on my husband's face made realized that sounded really stupid, and I realized I measured out 3 cm and not 3 inches...
ptmbradley Posted - 15/05/2011 : 12:26:01
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Snake length really doesn't mean much, it's more for those 'mines bigger than yours' type people.

lol not sure I agree with that Louise. I just like to know the statistics because I'm a bit anal like that!

Pete
Invalid User Posted - 15/05/2011 : 11:19:11
quote:
Originally posted by Only1Nitro

if you read tho, the piks must be taken directly above and if the picture is taken at an angle with the ruler behind the snake will measure bigger.

Yes but thats why I took them not exactly over head, to see if the results still came up close to the string method, which they did.

Tbh as long as my snakes are growing as they should and are healthy I really couldn't give a stuff how long they are and it was just for fun I made this thread.

Snake length really doesn't mean much, it's more for those 'mines bigger than yours' type people.
Only1Nitro Posted - 15/05/2011 : 08:03:55
if you read tho, the piks must be taken directly above and if the picture is taken at an angle with the ruler behind the snake will measure bigger.
eeji Posted - 14/05/2011 : 17:31:13
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Least now we know what to call someone if we dont like them without getting got by the swearbox. lol.

*******'s?
lotabob Posted - 14/05/2011 : 16:57:19
Least now we know what to call someone if we dont like them without getting got by the swearbox. lol.
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 14:45:52
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:

I would compare the results

PMSL

Eeeek! Bloomin typos, and why did the swear filter not kick in for that eh?? lol
lotabob Posted - 14/05/2011 : 14:36:17
quote:

I would compare the results

PMSL

Yeah as above the picture has to be taken for above and then the unit of measurement has to be as accurate as possible. I find it so much easier than string as the picture stays still lol.

Sta~ple Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:51:42
As long as you have a proper thing to measure with and the photo is taken directly from the top, although this can be very hard with very long snakies, it gives accurate result :D

I'll try the piece of string method when I have tome and if the snakes are in a cooperative mood. 5ft of snake getting his head into a hole and trying to escapee when measure sounds like fun XD
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:47:29
quote:
Originally posted by jimspook

Piece of string I got 84cm and with the widget I got 77cm. I think the widget was the more accurate.

That's still not a huge difference.

I think the string works for a rough guide. I don't think I can be bothered to take a pic of each snake, upload it, change the size, set the points and all that when string still gives a good guide.

If I had less snakes then yes but for now string is easier.
Ailsa Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:34:45
yeah i think widget thingy is more accurate
jimspook Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:33:16
Piece of string I got 84cm and with the widget I got 77cm. I think the widget was the more accurate.
Invalid User Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:22:44
Ok, so decided to measure my brb in the same way.

String gave me a measurement of aprox 2ft 3 inches.

This pic and the widget came up as 2ft 5 inches. I'm quite inpressed!

Ailsa Posted - 14/05/2011 : 13:15:37
I've not tried the string method with Dakota as she's only little still

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000