The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 reintroducing handling

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amanda121921 Posted - 11/05/2011 : 23:25:55
if you've read introductions, then you'll know i've been in hospital for vquite a while and my mum had to look after kasey n squidward for me.she managed to feed n water them n keep their vivs clean but doesnt like handling them so they've barely been touched for 7 months. i've had them back a couple of weeks now. after letting them settle back in for a week, i only handled them to take them out for feeding and so i could give their vivs a deep clean then left them alone for another week. kasey's always been really calm and not minded handling and he doesn't seem too phased by the lack of it and was even happy enough to let my 6 year old handle him which she loves.he's a bit jumpy but thats understandable so im building him back up slowly to being handled every day as was the norm. squidward on the other hand is posing a bit more of a problem. he's always been not too keen on handling and when i first got him i had to temporarily resort to using gloves just to pick him up. persistance paid off and although he still was nt keen i was able to handle him for short periods without the gloves, although he'd take a chunk out of anyone else! he's reverted back to his old ways now and even comes shooting out of his hide on occasions to try munch me when i change his water and stuff (he's really fast)and if i do manage to pick him up he goes really straight n stiff-his pencil impression!-then bites whenever possible.anyway, i was just wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to approach trying to get him used to handling again. i think he's always going to be a snake who'd rather not given the chance but he does need to get out the viv now n again for some exercise, especially as he likes his grub!and although he is very pretty, i didnt get him just to look at through the glass and id hate for him to be cooped up in his viv all the time.i know it'll probably just take time and persistance again but it would be nice to hear what other people think.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diesel1994 Posted - 12/05/2011 : 19:38:42
i would agree, if you back off when they show aggression they will learn just to show more aggression, just go in boldly and pick them up, they will get used to it eventually, just be cautions
lotabob Posted - 12/05/2011 : 01:07:28
Its graet your willing to work with him to get him used to been handled. I don't think you have any quick fixes available to you other than regular short handling sessions. Try using an item of worn clothing and putting it in his viv, help him to associate your smell with the norm. The best bit of advice I can give you (I have a Royal Python that hates been picked up) is just be confident, use steady and deliberate moves, come in from the side, no dilly dally just go for it, once they are up its less likely they will bite and if he does strike at you, you have to ignore it, don't put him straight back or he associates his biting with getting left alone and then you'll be picking teeth out of your hand every time you handle him or change waterbowls.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000