The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding regime

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 26/04/2011 : 15:40:21
Been having bit of a think today about this and that, as you do, and this got me wondering. In the wild I'm guessing that a corn snake may well not eat every week even when very young and the size of prey would probably vary. Now in captivity we feed every 5-7 days for a youngster and every 7-14 days for adults and we offer the same size food every week until we feel it is able to cope with larger items the move up a size. So would it maybe be better to offer varying size prey items, obviously you wouldn't offer a hatchling an adult mouse, but maybe if your snake is eating smalls you could offer a couple of fuzzies instead. If an adult is eating large mice every 7-14 days maybe stretch it to 3 weeks occasionally. Or maybe offer a small mouse and a fuzzy sometimes or 2 mediums. It all seems a bit regimental, feeding on the same day every week. I'm sure corny in the wild wouldn't look at his calendar and think "oh I have to catch a mouse today and it must be a small one".
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 27/04/2011 : 07:34:37
My feeding schedule can be a bit hit and miss. Although I keep records for them all, now I have quite a few and they feed on different days I tend to lose track. Size wise, I do go up in size but that is only so that I don't get left with a heap of mice that are too small. Currently I am using up a load of pinks on the hoggies when the records they came with say they were on fuzzies.
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/04/2011 : 21:21:06
I feed mine both rats and mice, far too big, far too small, too long in between feeds, to little time in between feeds, the works. I can never remember which day I last fed my snakes on, but if they are all out staring at me and licking their lips then I head on out to the freezer.....
gingerpony Posted - 26/04/2011 : 18:56:03
thast exactly why i don't feed while they're in blue and don't stress if i don't get enough mice out to defrost, or don't have the 'right' sized mouse.......my feeding is a bit ad hoc = natural
rubberbiscuit Posted - 26/04/2011 : 18:34:14
ah ha, but I bet if you went to the rainforest and offered primitive tribesmen the chance for Dominos 2 for 1 Tuesday every week they would jump at the chance!!
Corn snakes are darned lucky!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000