The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Heat Pad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
musical2one Posted - 18/04/2011 : 19:32:45
So, I got two baby corn snakes on Sat. and went to buy a heating pad that didn't work, and I exchanged it for another that also does not work. So, now it's monday I've ordered one offline with one day shipping to get here tomorrow. Will they be okay for one more day? I did get a heat lamp that I put on for two hours and turn off just in case it can get harmful.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 21/04/2011 : 08:17:35
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Have you not got a thermostat at all? If you tried to use the other 2 mats without a thermostat then I would say that was why they were not heating properly. Not because the mats were faulty.

Thermostats stop a mat getting too hot, a stat wouldn't have any effect on a mat not getting hot. I think they were both working fine just didn't feel hot, as they wouldn't straight away, they take a while to reach the temperatures we will feel as warm.

@ Lotabob, I have a 6" x 4" heat mat and unless I use a thermostat with it it gives such little heat that you can't notice it and barely gets above 60 c. As soon as I connect to a thermostat and turn the stat up a bit you can then notice some heat from it and the temps rise. I think alot depends on the wattage of the mat as well.

musical2one Posted - 21/04/2011 : 02:05:38
I left the first one plugged in all day, and the second for two days. The zoomed I have now, heats up in no time at all. I got a thermostat by the way. I cannot tell if it is doing anything though. I also fed the snakes and they both did fine, even Sweeny (The tiny one). The temperature in the tank is 80-84. Is that a good enough temperature to keep it at for digestion...or do I need to get it hotter.
lotabob Posted - 20/04/2011 : 18:21:07
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Have you not got a thermostat at all? If you tried to use the other 2 mats without a thermostat then I would say that was why they were not heating properly. Not because the mats were faulty.

Thermostats stop a mat getting too hot, a stat wouldn't have any effect on a mat not getting hot. I think they were both working fine just didn't feel hot, as they wouldn't straight away, they take a while to reach the temperatures we will feel as warm.
Red123 Posted - 20/04/2011 : 08:32:02
lotabob Posted - 19/04/2011 : 22:26:40
If you can then really there is no reason not to.
musical2one Posted - 19/04/2011 : 22:12:12
Idk. He isn't as small as he looks in the picture. They're both about the same length and size. His neck is a little smaller. But I guess it's cause I don't have a trained eye, but he seems about the same size as casper.They are a different strength though. I do have another cage...I can separate them.
lotabob Posted - 19/04/2011 : 22:08:45
I will chirp in one point, they are both hatchies but they are not the same size, strength etc, the little one will lose every battle for space, every shoving match for the best spot. It will always be smaller, weaker and stressed out while living with a stronger ''friend''. To give your little guy the best possible start they should live separately. The link above is worth reading but if you want the best for Sweeney he needs his own space.
gingerpony Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:59:14
i know it's 16 pages but have a good read......... http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
musical2one Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:57:09
No, they're together. It's so cute. They'll curl up together, and you'll see two heads sticking out.
gingerpony Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:54:36
a thermostat will help stop the temp fluctuations and. should the mat fail in any way, it should prevent injury to your snakes
are they housed separately?
gmac Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:51:51
thermostats are a must. too many horror stories about mats and no stats about to ignore
musical2one Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:48:42
Oh, and I'm bringing a wood end table for their tank to sit on. I've been moving from an apartment to a condo...so I'm still moving things over. So, there is not really a wooden table to set them on yet. But I'm bringing to tonight.
musical2one Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:47:10
Yes they were from pet supplies. I had a thermometer too. They did feel cold to the touch and the thermometer sat at 76 even when I had it plugged it. They were exoterra. I have a zoomed now, and It is noticably working keeping the temp at 84 degrees. I unplugged it early because their tank is on my glass desk, and I get paranoid and I didn't want it to hurt the glass desk in anyway. just paranoid kicking in. If it keeps it at 84 degrees. Do I still need a thermostat?
gingerpony Posted - 19/04/2011 : 21:41:18
i'd thought that too A.......heating to 30*C shouldn't feel warm to the touch unless you have cold hands!!
a33272 Posted - 19/04/2011 : 09:31:33
The 2 that didn't work were they new from a shop. If so I'd be surprised if the mats were faulty as they would of been tested when made. Why do u say they didn't work???
gmac Posted - 18/04/2011 : 22:10:31
if your house temp is sitting at 76 its nothing to really worry about for a while, is only a few degrees off the required temps.
lotabob Posted - 18/04/2011 : 22:04:16
No they wont die.
musical2one Posted - 18/04/2011 : 22:03:27
But they're not going to die because the temp is that low right? That is mostly what I am worried about. I should get the pad tmrw by 12:30. Assuming I get what I paid for which was one day shipping to receive it tomorrow
gingerpony Posted - 18/04/2011 : 21:10:51
due to the (temporary) low temperature you're keeping them at i'd advise not feeding them yet as they won't have enough heat to digest any food properly
gmac Posted - 18/04/2011 : 20:56:04
76 is fine for now without the mat, wouldn't bother with the lamp its not required with the temps you have in your house just now.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000