The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 New corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 17:51:15
I am the proud owner of two new baby corn snakes. Although I noticed as I was bringing them home, one of them (a hypo bloodred morph) seemed very inactive and quite frail. I got him from a reptile expo so I figured he is probably okay since these are professional breeders. He is worrying me though because my other snake is so active and plays around...but the other one seems so more fragile. Could this mean something?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 19:01:12
I wouldn't until you have a heat source and is regulated, the snakes wont be able to digest the food properly and may cause more issues.
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 19:00:08
Nah give them a week to settle in and get your temperature right first.
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:59:15
so, the guy fed the snakes a week ago. One on monday, and one on sunday. he said to wait until tomorrow to fed them...but should i feed them today?
gmac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:58:07
if you do decide to go down this road, you only need the water/powerade solution to be half the depth of your snake so not a lot really.
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:52:42
Yep, thats the stuff. Quick edit I forgot to say a mix of powerade and water, you can drink half the bottle for the energy to bath the snake and then top it up with water and then heat it like you would a babies bottle but with a thermometer probe in it to get the temp right.
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:51:55
a bottle of powerade? like the blue energy drink?
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:47:45
Pour a bottle of powerade into a tub and put the snake in it for a bit. Put the bottle in hot water for a bit to warm it to about 25 degrees centigrade using the probe from the digital thermometer (on your shopping list) in the powerade to monitor the temperature. It is really important its not too cold or too hot as the snake can go into shock. If the snake is happy or more appropriately not totally freaked out by it give it about 10-15 minutes keeping an eye that the temp doesn't drop below 20oC. If its really not happy just take it out.
EDIT: You'll need to have a tub of water ready to rinse the snake off as it will get sticky if you don't.

Try reptoboost first though its full of good stuff.
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:43:17
how do you give a powerade bath?
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:24:53
Your shopping list is getting longer. If you can get hold of some reptoboost to help rehydrate and also gives them a bit of a boost (probably explains the name) you can give them a powerade bath but I think that might be too stressful but keep it in mind should the snake get any weaker.
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:20:22
It did not have water at the expo. all the snakes were in little containers. And, the snake was fed at the end of last week. I keep forgetting when he said. But he said to wait til monday to feed it
gmac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:17:38
Even from professional breeders some are not the most scrupulous of breeders therefore it may have a problem, did you get feeding records with this one, otherwise see how the feeding goes and also possibly think of a Vet trip to get it checked out proper.
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:17:11
quote:
Originally posted by musical2one

Frail like he cannot hold up his body as much as he should be able to. The other corn can reach the top of the tank and get on to the ledge, the hypo bloodred can't. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to, and they are both the same length and size. Also, the other one will wrap his tail around your finger, and hang and coil and easily gets himself back up, but the bloodred, he doesn't wrap his tail and cannot hold himself up nearly as easily as the other one

Doesn't sound great that. Might be dehydrated, did the snake have water when you saw it at the expo?
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:16:14
IT would have been nice to know that I needed a thermostat. Stupid pet supplies plus
lotabob Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:15:35
No mention of a thermostat or thermometers! mats do not feel hot to us until they get close to our body temperature which is 7 degrees centigrade over the max temp for a corn snake. Also if your housing them together you might want to read this thread ( http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070 ).

This link will give you all the info you need about setting up a sucessful faunarium ( http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 ).
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:15:07
Frail like he cannot hold up his body as much as he should be able to. The other corn can reach the top of the tank and get on to the ledge, the hypo bloodred can't. He just doesn't seem to have the ability to, and they are both the same length and size. Also, the other one will wrap his tail around your finger, and hang and coil and easily gets himself back up, but the bloodred, he doesn't wrap his tail and cannot hold himself up nearly as easily as the other one
gmac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:13:35
there is not a switch to turn your heater off, it requires the use of a thermostat to regulate the heat from the mat. I suggest you collect one of those from your store when you take the mat back.

I wouldnt be using the lamp either as you have no way of controlling the temps from the lamp and it will get too hot for your snake.
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:11:07
They're housed in a tank a little smaller than 10 gallons (they aren't very big, hatched in October I think the man said). I have one side unheated with water and a hiding spot. Aspen as the substrate. The other side has a heating pad but it is not working so I have a lamp shining in the area (that i am about to go turn off to insure it does not get too hot) until I can take that one back to the store and exchange. The heating pad is an exo terra heat wave. Is there a switch or something that turns it on because the directions have not said anything and it does not feel hot at all and Ive left it plugged in for awhile? anyway, there is a nice hide out in that area too, and I have some fake leaves scattered because I read that if you have more places to hide, they may crawl around more often
gmac Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:07:49
can you describe quite frail a bit better, difficult to give an opinion on that, a few photos may help
musical2one Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:07:31
We'll I have been handling them. I've had them since yesterday. So If I leave them alone for a few days starting now...they'll be okay? Had to handle them a lot because the stupid heating pad we got didn't work so we had to take them out to turn the tank over and get the pad off...then to put a new pad on. The new one does not work...it's very depressing
Invalid User Posted - 17/04/2011 : 18:06:18
Maybe if you tell us a bit more about each snakes setup it might help. What are they housed in, what are your temps like, how are you controling the temps etc etc.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000