The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Photographing snakes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ptmbradley Posted - 12/04/2011 : 23:30:58
Hi, sorry am posting a bit on here tonight as I read/think of stuff.

I list photography among my hobbies and have a set of studio lights in my spare room. If I built a set design on a table for Pandora to pose on, how would she likely react to the flash of my strobes? Would it stress her? Would she not really be bothered or is this sort of thing snake dependent? If studio flash is too much I could use a lower powered flash gun or even on-camera flash if need be. Otherwise I'll just have to bump up the ISO and shoot in ambient light I guess.

Not doing any of this just yet anyway as I've only had her a week and she's still settling in. Plus I haven't got enough props for a set yet! But having Pandora as a model is something I'd love to do soon! lol

Cheers, Ptm

moved to GP
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 13/04/2011 : 19:23:52
i use masking tape over my camera flash (on its lowest setting) just to take the glare off it and a fast shutter speed (1/1000) to keep the pics sharp
ptmbradley Posted - 13/04/2011 : 13:15:21
Those are some lovely photos. Can't wait to get Pandora posing! lol

Your pics look even better to me right now coz I had an eye operation for cataracts yesterday and have just taken off the patch for the first time, and everything looks so bright and vibrant and even in 3d. Looks like I could reach out and pick your snakes up Lixra!
Lixra Posted - 13/04/2011 : 10:46:50
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I try to not use a flash when photgraphing my lot but I'm always forgetting to switch it off and it doesn't seem to bother any of them. To be honest though they are shiny and a flash does nothing for the quality of the shot, best using natural light and a high ISO film/setting.

Flash, when done well, looks just as good if not better than ambient lighting. Especially when you have to take the shots indoors and the natural light coming through the window isn't all that attractive.

quote:
EDIT: Forgot to say direct flash just ends up with a ton of retina reflection.

That depends on where the "direct flash" is located. If it's on camera flash, yes. Just get the flash of the camera. :)

All of the images in my sig, except for Darwin, were shot with flash.
gingerpony Posted - 13/04/2011 : 08:21:09
quote:

Its OK, mods only come round and break your legs on your second offence.

that's a myth! but you do have to be REALLY naughty for us to do it for a first offence

lotabob Posted - 13/04/2011 : 00:39:47
Its OK, mods only come round and break your legs on your second offence.

I'm waiting for the summer to dig out the SLR for an outdoor shoot with the beasts, in the mean time I use the everyday compact for capturing moments.
ptmbradley Posted - 13/04/2011 : 00:16:24
Cheers for the quick response there.

Am looking forward to posing her in the weeks/months ahead and hoping for a few nice shots among the foliage, on the rocks/log, climbing out of a skull etc, as well as a nice portrait or two...

And sorry I just realised this should probably have been in the general forum... Soz!
lotabob Posted - 12/04/2011 : 23:39:41
I try to not use a flash when photgraphing my lot but I'm always forgetting to switch it off and it doesn't seem to bother any of them. To be honest though they are shiny and a flash does nothing for the quality of the shot, best using natural light and a high ISO film/setting.

EDIT: Forgot to say direct flash just ends up with a ton of retina reflection.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000