The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ailsa Posted - 29/03/2011 : 09:54:16
When I get my first corn and she's due a feed what's the best way to offer food - I've read that after defrosting the pinkie for 3-4 hours you should give it a quick 30 blast of a hair dryer, some use a feeding dish, some take their snake out putting it in a wee feeding RUB?

Can you all give other feeding tips.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 29/03/2011 : 20:33:52
Pinkies and fuzzies only take an hour or as I call them the little ones.

3-4 hours is the weaner rats its usually 3 though.

**mod edit - Sig removed, too big. Please see http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15428 for more info***
Sta~ple Posted - 29/03/2011 : 20:29:27
I feed in a separate tub and I defrost the food natural. Sometimes I will heat up with a hair dryer for a bit if the snake is fussy. 3-4 hours is a long time on defrost for a pinky! I only defrosted mine for 1 hour!
lotabob Posted - 29/03/2011 : 20:04:06
Hoppers are between fuzzies and mice, rare to get them.

I feed my corn in a separate tub, just dangle the mouse in and Spot takes it nice and gently, my Royal gets fed in his viv on a little metal bowl its the only way he'll eat so far so I stick with it. I would say try feeding out of the viv firstly, see what happens, if they don't take to that method or its too much hassle for you then feed in the viv, just take precautions about them eating substrate, put something down that they cant swallow, a piece of newspapaer or kitchen roll. I've just got another saddition and will try feeding out of the RUB first, see how that goes, cant hurt to try.

Oh and I don't do anything but sit the micicles on the vivarium until it defrosts, little ones take about an hour upto the 3-4 hours it takes to defrost a large weaner rat.
lrv2307 Posted - 29/03/2011 : 19:15:42
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

I put pinkies and small fuzzies in a sandwich bag and popped them in a mug of warm,not hot water. With the hoppers I leave them out at room temperature and then once soft either warm them up with warm water,or if the house is cold though I warm them by the fire.
They look funny dangling over the mantlepiece lol.
I feed my snakes in a seperate tub.

same as you mort, i defrost in a cup of warm water in a bag lol
my friends keep away from my freezer though now (icecream at last safe!) due to it holding more snake food than human food lol
Ailsa Posted - 29/03/2011 : 18:14:41
ok pinkies and fuzzies i get, what are hoppers?
crazy JJ Posted - 29/03/2011 : 12:44:42
im with lou on this one :D ^^
Mort13 Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:42:27
I put pinkies and small fuzzies in a sandwich bag and popped them in a mug of warm,not hot water. With the hoppers I leave them out at room temperature and then once soft either warm them up with warm water,or if the house is cold though I warm them by the fire.
They look funny dangling over the mantlepiece lol.
I feed my snakes in a seperate tub.
Invalid User Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:16:33
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I defrost all the mice and rats in a bowl of warm water just so it's done quickly.

have you never heard slow cooking meat makes it so much nicer :P

lol I don't care! Defrosting 16 rodents the slow cook way takes far too long!
a33272 Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:11:43
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I defrost all the mice and rats in a bowl of warm water just so it's done quickly.

have you never heard slow cooking meat makes it so much nicer :P
Invalid User Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:09:22
I used to feed mine in different tubs but now with so many snakes I just feed them in their houses. I use kitchen roll substrate so I don't have to worry about any substrate being swallowed.

Ailsa Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:06:56
Is it best once you find something that works to stick to is?
Stumpy Posted - 29/03/2011 : 10:03:45
I got a couple of food storage boxes and I put the food and the snake in one until the food is taken.
It works for mine so I stick to the same regime

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000