The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Heat strip help :-/

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 21/03/2011 : 16:36:58
Right,I've had a heat strip delivered today. Got it up and running but it appears one end gets warmer than the other.
Is this something that happens a lot or is it due to it only running for about half an hour?
Its controlled by a habistat matstat. One end is reading 30.4 at the mo and the other end 28.4.
If I'm being a stress head and jumping the gun I apologise.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 24/03/2011 : 14:11:06
Ah,something to bear in mind if I ever go down the boa route then!
gingerpony Posted - 24/03/2011 : 13:27:26
for optimum conditions for adults i maintain a warm end of about 32'C and cool end of 27'C
they don't cope with fluctuations very well, though for heating them you'd use ceramics/IRs/AHS/RepRads which need pulse or dimmer stats which are pretty accurate anyway
Mort13 Posted - 24/03/2011 : 13:18:29
Mad isn't it! When I first got Loki I was like someone possessed!
I really thought I'd settle down with it,but no,I still check them a lot,and I'm now faffing over empty plastic boxes.

Good job I haven't got a royal isn't it!!

Are boas more specific temperature wise then?
gingerpony Posted - 24/03/2011 : 13:10:18
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Lol,not accurately calibrated....are you trying to make me go bald!!

lmao i'm sure my OH (dazb) loses sleep over the temps if they're not spot-on, i think it's hilarious with the corns.......

but if my boas are more than half a degree out
Mort13 Posted - 24/03/2011 : 13:06:12
Lol,not accurately calibrated....are you trying to make me go bald!!
Actually,I'm definite its the heat mat as I swapped the boxes over just in case it was the thermometers reading wrong.
I'll keep an eye on the snakes' behaviour when I get them and adjust if needs be. Thanks for the info.
gingerpony Posted - 24/03/2011 : 07:45:01
there's also the possibility that the thermometers aren't accurately calibrated..........just to throw another spanner in the works lol try not to worry to much about it though as long as the temps are in range
be guided by your snakes' behaviour (when you put them in) if they spend all their time in the cool end then the warm end might be too warm for them, if they're in the warm end all the time try knocking the stat up a fraction in case they're not warm enough
Mort13 Posted - 23/03/2011 : 22:55:36
They've both got the thermometer probes placed in the same area on each tub.
Its a mat stat that I'm using and typically since I wrote this,theres been no more than half a degree difference (I swear its trying to stress me out,or make me look stupid!)
The tubs are empty at the mo as I don't have the snakes yet,its a trial run so to speak.
They've both fallen within the temperature range even when quite different from each other really,so looking at your post I think I should be happy and try to relax.
Thankyou.
gingerpony Posted - 23/03/2011 : 20:58:01
check the thermometer probe placement, it could be that straight forward, or a cool snake laying on the probe....i wouldn't worry too much as long as the temps are in a reasonable range (27-30'C)
what type of stat are you using? we've got some 35"x12" strips running off a twin stat and because the twins are on/offs sometimes there's quite a range........fortunately corns are hardy though
Mort13 Posted - 23/03/2011 : 19:50:19
Right I've had it running a while now and the temps can be anything from the same to a degree and a half off each other.
Any ideas?
Mort13 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 10:25:01
Its a 23" by 6" heat strip with 2 tubs on it. Thermostat probe is attached to the mat itself.
At the mo they are reading 29.4 and 29.6 so hopefully its stabilising.
Invalid User Posted - 22/03/2011 : 10:02:30
How big is the strip?

I have 3 large rubs on my 4ft strip. I have the thermostat probe placed underneath one of the rubs, directly on the heat mat and have a thermometer in each rub. They all read almost exactly the same temps. For example, right now the the temps for the 3 rubs are 28.1c , 28.3c and 28.4c
Mort13 Posted - 22/03/2011 : 09:32:58
I've got 2 tubs set up,they are the same size and have the exact same set up within. The temperature reading in them was over 3 degrees C different when I came down this morning!
I unplugged it all,and have now just turned it on again. Originally I had the tubs the same distance from the middle of the mat as each other.
I've now placed them so the thermometer probes are both reading the middle of each half of the mat (hope that makes sense?).
Fingers crossed.
gingerpony Posted - 22/03/2011 : 07:47:45
the temperature will read higher on the parts of the strip that have tubs/RUBs on than the bits with nothing on them as they work most effectively by contact. but ultimately all the tubs on the same strip should end up about the same temp +/- half a 'C or so, so try not to worry
Mort13 Posted - 21/03/2011 : 21:10:18
Thanks for the reassurance.
I've decided not to look at it now till the morning as its on the verge of turning into an obsession. Hopefuly it'll have settled by then.
Invalid User Posted - 21/03/2011 : 19:31:34
My 4ft heat strip was like that for a good few hours but now runs really well and has same temps from end to end.
gmac Posted - 21/03/2011 : 17:54:29
give it time to settle, it should be fine.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000