The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Faun, viv or Rub?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rick1894 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 16:39:54
Im going to get another snake tomorrow probably a Royal but might go with the Boa and they have faun starter kits but not sure what to go for

My corn has been in his 2ftx1x1.5 glass viv since i got him at 3 months but even now seems a little big for him.

So what are peoples thoughts on eachone's pro's and cons and sizes as read so many different ideal's; would if get the Royal get a stack of 4ftx2x2 when adult for corn and royal, maybe the box room for a boa
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 19/03/2011 : 16:42:16
Brilliant, see you over at www.theroyalpython.co.uk if your not already on there.
rick1894 Posted - 19/03/2011 : 16:00:32
Wahey just picked up lileth the spider royal ;-)
Invalid User Posted - 14/03/2011 : 15:15:12
quote:
Originally posted by rick1894

Cool so will you up sizes fairly regular then Louise or do you think a 9l would last a while, also will you use a RUB when adult and if so what size would that be (just seen 98l)?

I'm not sure yet tbh. Some of mine will go into vivs, the boas and the royal. The corns and the king will probably stay in rubs. No idea what size yet but they have just moved up from 9L to underbed storage boxes (not sure on volume as they are not propper rubs) they are 2ft x 1ft roughly so will do them for a while yet.

Red123 Posted - 14/03/2011 : 14:58:30
I would also be interested in what size RUBS would possibly be used when adult.
rick1894 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 21:09:07
Cool so will you up sizes fairly regular then Louise or do you think a 9l would last a while, also will you use a RUB when adult and if so what size would that be (just seen 98l)?

Invalid User Posted - 12/03/2011 : 20:53:38
My hatchie Royal has been downsized to a 4L rub as she wasn't feeding!

Depends on the individual snake but most royals like it small.

My other King and BRB are still in 9L rubs
rick1894 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 20:49:44
Ok cheers peeps, will get a RUB and set up tomorrow and pick the snake up next week so no everything is working fine.

9l is that really big enough? my butty box is 4l ;-)
Mort13 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 19:42:03
For a hatchie royal or boa I'd say a RUB. I was going to get a hatchie royal myself and bought a 9l RUB ready. Got mine from Rymans,£5.99 with a free ream of paper.
I had Loki in a faun at first and had no problems but I wouldn't be happy about having a royal or boa in one as they are stronger snakes and I can imagine them pushing the lid off. The lids on RUBS are a lot more secure.
SexyBear77 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 19:01:38
Vivs- great to look at, fun to decorate, ideal for display. Take up space and are expensive, and need individual heating systems.
RUB's- cheap, easy to setup, perfect for small snakes and can be used for a rack, therefore sharing a single heat source with many others. Not good for display.
Fauns- look ok, lids are a faff and plastic seems to get grubby quickly. Can also be used in a rack system.
lotabob Posted - 12/03/2011 : 18:27:14
I bought 2 18L RUBs(£11), a mat stat(£25) 2 bowls(£2), 4 coconut hides(£4), (£20) 2 mats (dont have room for side by side so they needed their own mats) and (£10)thermometers, give or take a few pounds here or there for foliage and logs etc. Unfortunately the shops over here (Northern Ireland) cost a fortune and for some strange reason people charge us extra for postage to send here. I'm sure you could pick these things up cheaper. But this was the cheapest I could do it, I suppose that is 2 RUBS so divided its £35 but if you dont have a stat and mat it will be a smidge more. I wasn't very clear that I setup 2
Invalid User Posted - 12/03/2011 : 18:05:21
Bob, how the heck does your rub cost £70 to setup??

Mine was £6 for 9L rub, and £2 for a ceramic water bowl (just a rabbit one) then I put in some kitchen roll, couple of cardboard hides from household items and a fake plant if I have some spare. Digital thermometer £4 and a small heatmat £5 and thats it. Hooked up to my other thermostat.

I got my last lot of rubs from my local Maplin.
oakleyman18 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 18:01:56
Homebase is a guaranteed win!
lotabob Posted - 12/03/2011 : 17:52:08
The Boa I'm getting has a very similar setup requirement to a Royal. But will get much bigger. I would say a royal is a good snake to get, they are easy enough to keep and apart from been a bit funny about food from time to time they are a beautiful big bodied snake.

I got my RUB's through Viking Direct but I ordered them with my work account and got a nice discount (2, 18 litre RUB's for £11) but I have also heard Staples sell them, and I have seen them in Tesco too. Louise is a good person for advice where to buy, she buys a couple a month.
rick1894 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 17:22:31
Yeah not liking the look or sound of fauns much, think il have to get a Rub set up. Most likely will get the Royal as don't think il be allowed the Boa yet although apart from size they seem quite simple to care for.

Can't seem to find anywhere to buy a RUB though :-(
lotabob Posted - 12/03/2011 : 17:16:14
I would use a RUB when they are little moving to a vivarium as they get bigger (thats my plan anyway) I've heard nothing good about fauns.

I have 2 vivariums and 2 RUBs and although the vivariums look prettier, snakes couldn't care less about that, as long as they have heat, food, and water and appropriate space they are happy.

RUBS are cheaper to set up (RUB = £70 full setup/VIV = £150 full set up)

OH and normal Boas are huge, are you ready for such a big snake
rick1894 Posted - 12/03/2011 : 16:58:45
Normal Royal and Normal Boa's here's a link;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=wa&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_en___GB388&q=warrington+reptile+shop

Where did you get your rub's from as don't like the look of the lids on faun's and they use rubs in the shop but don't sell them :(

Invalid User Posted - 12/03/2011 : 16:42:58
I have used rubs and fauns but prefer rubs. Easier to get into and better for a royal due to them not being so see through!

My new boas will also be going into rubs.

What boa are you thinking of?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000