The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 where to feed.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mina0103 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:36:29
Nekko is now 8mths and has always been fed in his home, is it to late now to start feeding him away from his home or is it best to leave him as he is?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mina0103 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 20:51:21
[quote]Originally posted by lotabob

I worry every feed about ingesting substrate, you can cover it over but there is always a chance in the viv.

I never put his food on substrate always on either some tissue or in his tree (dont ask, him taking food into his tree or me having to put it there is a strange habbit he has,but if he likes it wat can i say lol)
mina0103 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 20:45:44
[quote]Originally posted by Oh How Original

Why would you want to break the routine?
I mean it's up to you, but if the snake in question is eating fine in the viv.
Why do you even need to think about changing that?
I'm just curious....

Im not really sure why i thought about it, think its just from reading on here that loads of people feed seperatly, just wondered if it was a better way of doing it. My last snake boris was always fed in his viv with no probs.. I dont actualy think nekko would go for it because he likes to eat at night when hes alone. Plus like someone else mentioned he doesnt like being handled after feeding.
tehbunneh Posted - 03/03/2011 : 20:02:01
I've always fed my lot outside their vivs - mainly for aspen issues (I don't have kitchen roll in my house, and I don't get the paper, so substrate ingestion could very well occur) and also because of the possibility of viv defensiveness. Widget is already pretty viv defensive, so if I were to start feeding him in there, I'd have no hope of ever getting him out x.x He's a striker too, and that freaks me out when its my hand he's going for! All of my others are fine with being handled, and I prefer to get them out, check them over before feeding, and be able to watch to ensure there is no issues. In the viv stack, I'd have an issue doing that. The RUBs are about 7ft off the ground, on top of three vivs! I'd have no chance of peeking on the RUBs whilst Dex and Boa are eating XD
lotabob Posted - 03/03/2011 : 18:57:23
I feed Spot out of his viv because he would still eat balanced on a washing line he isn't fussy. Duke the fussy royal will only eat in his viv with the room lights off and no noise. I would love to feed all of mine out of the viv but its upto the snake where he will and wont eat. There is no harm in trying them out of the viv. I worry every feed about ingesting substrate, you can cover it over but there is always a chance in the viv where as the chance is removed out of the viv. Like you say try it and see, from what I've heard its uncommon for corns to not feed when food is infront of them regardless of where they are.
Invalid User Posted - 03/03/2011 : 16:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

I'm just curious....

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to try feeding outside the viv.

Why would you think it's such a problem to change?
Oh How Original Posted - 03/03/2011 : 16:10:58
I'm just curious....
Mort13 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 13:28:09
Mine too are fed in seperate tubs. Gives me the oportunity to weigh them and check them and of course watch something really amazing.
At the end of the day though its what suits you and your snake best.
Invalid User Posted - 03/03/2011 : 08:54:56
I always fed mine in a different tub but now I have so many to feed I have started feeding them in their own rubs. I get them out for a quick weigh in then back into the rub for their feed.

It makes things easier now as I can leave them to it while I carry on with the others and just check on them later to make sure they have eaten.
LynneM_212 Posted - 03/03/2011 : 08:49:50
I was unsure where to feed Kchalice to when i first got her, but i decided to feed her in her viv as you can tell she doesnt want anythign hear her once she has fed... i have no problems with her being viv defensive or anything, i take out one of her hides sometimes and just put some kitchen roll in to stop her swallowing aspen and she eats on there... wow if i tried to pick her up to put her somewhere else after she had eaten shed eat me lol !!!

But always worth a try see which on you prefer!!
SexyBear77 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 19:55:14
I feed all mine in their vivs or tubs with never a single issue, and unless I ever have an issue I'll carry on doing so. Far easier.
mina0103 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 12:10:11
I think ill try feeding him outa his viv next time. Wont hurt to try.
CentricMalteser Posted - 01/03/2011 : 02:49:38
the way i took these pics in this post

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14947

is I let her strike, and get a good grip and waited until the head of the mouse was swallowed, and then just gently moved the bx she was in around each time she was facing the wrong way

quote:
Originally posted by mina0103

I love watching nekko eat but when he does i feel like im holding my breath incase i put him off. Cud av got some great pics if i didnt worry so much lol.

mina0103 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 01:40:36
I love watching nekko eat but when he does i feel like im holding my breath incase i put him off. Cud av got some great pics if i didnt worry so much lol.
CentricMalteser Posted - 28/02/2011 : 22:02:43
For Bruge, I have a seperate feeding box, lined with soft kitchen roll, so that she doesn't accidently swallow any aspen in her viv,
she's a great strike for it, will post a pic on her next feed after she sheds (as she is in blue at mo)
lrv2307 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 21:55:44
hi minia

morgana is 7 months old now lol, was so funny she just looked at her fuzzy and moved away, but when i put her and it on my lap she took it straight away lol
will have to get some updated pics, as she has grown so much since i got her
mina0103 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 21:17:56
[quote]Originally posted by lrv2307

i feed mine in an RUB, bt last feed she was a pain with so sat her on my lap and she took it then lol

Aww why was she in pain, how old is she? cant see nekko eating outa my lap any time soon but then he is just starting to get used to being handled.
lrv2307 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:58:58
i feed mine in an RUB, bt last feed she was a pain with so sat her on my lap and she took it then lol
Strawb Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:39:57
I've always fed my snakes in their vivs and never had a problem. If you want to give it a try go for it. If it doesn't work you can always go back to feeding in the viv.
gmac Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:38:39
is entirely up to you where you want to feed him, there is no harm in trying to feed him in a RUB

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000