The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 RUB escapee paranoia?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 27/02/2011 : 12:31:34
I have a feeling I may be going over the top security wise here,but I'd rather be sure.
Been looking at keeping my next snake(s) in a rub,but I notice that where the lid sits on the box there is a slight gap.
Would it be possible for a really small hatchling to escape through the gap?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Invalid User Posted - 05/03/2011 : 01:05:40
I think it will be fine. My older corns are now in plastic tubs, rather than official rubs but I have just added some stuff to make them more secure.

You don't have to use RUBs
Mort13 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 00:25:33
No offence taken chuck.
Originally I had a RUB (the official Really Useful Box).
I noticed after a lot of over the top scrutiny that there is a slight gap on either side and above and having seen the size of housie hatchlings I'm pretty sure they be able to either escape or at least get trapped in the lid area.
I've read of it since I started the thread too.
This box has a lid that clips firmly to the base on 4 sides and theres no gaps at all (air tight).
If you can see a problem though then I'd be happy to hear of it as I want the best for my future snake.
hillzi Posted - 05/03/2011 : 00:08:05
I'm not being funny but this is probably why your'e being paranoid, that isn't a "RUB"

That's just, by the looks of it, an "unsnake" proof plastic tupperware box.

No offence meant by the way I'm only trying to help!
Mort13 Posted - 04/03/2011 : 23:47:06
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Love the pink hide :p was a dessert in there. I would like some pink ones as it would go well with the purple and black ones I have XD

Heh,heh its a kids drinking cup. Got a pack in different colours,unfortunately theres no purple though. That would be a brill colour scheme.
Got a blue one put to the side though.....just in case.
Louise,you are bob on there. I'm not surprised you're paranoid about Lupin escaping,seems like he's a seasoned escapee!
Invalid User Posted - 04/03/2011 : 16:18:56
Looks great.

Love the skull in there.

I bet you will still keep checking though! I'm paranoid now about Lupin escaping again and keep checking he is still inside his tub lol
Sta~ple Posted - 04/03/2011 : 15:17:43
Love the pink hide :p was a dessert in there. I would like some pink ones as it would go well with the purple and black ones I have XD
Mole Posted - 04/03/2011 : 14:51:26
Glad you cleared that one up for me was just contemplating what it was lol, and the rub looks wicked, cant wait to see the new arrival(s)
Mort13 Posted - 04/03/2011 : 12:35:34
Heh,heh I didn't know till I tried it.
Well this is what I ended up with. I may have gone over the top worrying about RUB escapes but at least I'll be able to sleep.
Just hope I can get the snake(s) now lol.

Thats not a poo in the tub its some moss still in the packaging lol.
CentricMalteser Posted - 01/03/2011 : 14:51:40
Really??? I didn't know thatm thanks for the info!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Thats what I used. Its great for sealing the vivs but doesn't fully adhere to the plastic a RUB is made from.
Happy with my clip seal box now.

Mort13 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 10:23:33
Thats what I used. Its great for sealing the vivs but doesn't fully adhere to the plastic a RUB is made from.
Happy with my clip seal box now.
CentricMalteser Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:47:24
use Geocel aquarium sealant, recommeneed by many people including aquatic shops etc
Mort13 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 20:07:05
Well the sealant didn't stick anyway lol. Had a look at various sizes of RUB from 3l upwards and they all had the gap I've been worried about. Ended up buying a clip and seal box in the end which I can use till the snakes larger.
Yep,I'm a worry wart!

Used a skewer for the air holes and I'm happy with them though.
hillzi Posted - 27/02/2011 : 21:12:22
quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh

I have to say my tiny little Boa' is in a 4L RUB currently, and has never once escaped, or managed to get himself through the gap. The gap appears to be bigger on the outer edge, where we can see, but fits REALLY snugly where the two parts of the box actually meet. I guess if it will help, some sealant would probably do the trick and create a rubbery seal, but I'd be careful of sticking it together and fail being able to get in to your snake at all, lol! I believe the clipping of the handles into place stops the gap being an issue, but yeah, mine has never got out, and when he went in, he was literally a 10g, 12inch hatchie that looked like a serious shoelace!

^^

this.

Don't bother with sealant, as the RUB's get smaller, as you'd need a small RUB for a small snake, the gap would be more tight as of the size of the thing.

A soldering iron makes tiny holes if you use just the nib of it for the airholes. no bootlace can escape that. putting mesh on it is being a too paranoid IMO.
Mort13 Posted - 27/02/2011 : 19:59:40
Yep,they are shockingly tiny.....hence the paranoia!!
reptiledanny Posted - 27/02/2011 : 18:01:40
wow, they are about as thin as a bootlace, so so tiny
lotabob Posted - 27/02/2011 : 17:56:31
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikpaterson/4894420113/

Found this picture, they are soo incredibly tiny.
Mort13 Posted - 27/02/2011 : 17:41:03
Lol,I've put some sealant round the lid but I won't be putting the lid back on the box for a couple of days just to be sure.
Loki was arounsd the same size as Boa' when I got him,but from what I've seeen of house snakes they are a LOT smaller!!
tehbunneh Posted - 27/02/2011 : 17:11:20
I have to say my tiny little Boa' is in a 4L RUB currently, and has never once escaped, or managed to get himself through the gap. The gap appears to be bigger on the outer edge, where we can see, but fits REALLY snugly where the two parts of the box actually meet. I guess if it will help, some sealant would probably do the trick and create a rubbery seal, but I'd be careful of sticking it together and fail being able to get in to your snake at all, lol! I believe the clipping of the handles into place stops the gap being an issue, but yeah, mine has never got out, and when he went in, he was literally a 10g, 12inch hatchie that looked like a serious shoelace!
lotabob Posted - 27/02/2011 : 15:26:44
I was thinking of putting some sort of rubber gasket on them. Not quite sure how to go about it. Maybe someone on here has addressed this problem and wouldn't mind sharing.
lucyloop Posted - 27/02/2011 : 15:25:26
When Tiko was in his faun there was a side gap so I cable tied to the extreme! It took blo*dy ages to get into the thing but it helped me sleep!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000