The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Sizes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crazysnakeman Posted - 20/01/2011 : 20:55:38
Heya,

I know I'll get my head bitten off for this, pairings are a controversial issue! But I have been offered a baby corn. I currently have a 4 ft adult in a 3 ft wooden viv which has two layers - so essentially 6ft by a ft and half of floor space.

I can house the baby fine in a tank until it is two years old, my house mate has a baby in a tank that I can either put the new one in with after isolation, or put the divider between the two - they are the same size and weight though.

I know its controversial and comes down to opinion, experiences etc etc, but do you think in a year and a halfs time, it would be large enough to be moved into the larger females viv without problems?

I understand all the issues surrounding this subject, I've read through the books, other forums etc, but if the growth rate of this baby is enough for it to be a fair length by the time my house mate moves out next summer, then I would like to do it.

Like I said, I know I'll get my head bit off for this, but I have found loads of cases where housing them together hasn't been a problem and I'm advised on any risks already.

Cheers,
Josh
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
crazysnakeman Posted - 21/01/2011 : 03:11:27
I've gone through my options and decided against taking this snake.. I will still find a second corn, I just dont think this baby is going to work as smoothly as I'd like
Josh
crazysnakeman Posted - 20/01/2011 : 21:37:18
Lucyloop, thankyou for that one - i had already read it actually :s but thankyou for putting it up just incase! I havn't made up my mind compltetly Louise, it's been a few years since I had a baby corn snake, the growth rates the main issue I have, ultimately, I could take it on tomorro and if any problems arrise, solve what ever it may be, I guess the idea behind this is that the tank becomes a show piece, displaying the two snakes, rather then the normal issues people have of buying too many snakes and not having enough space.

Lotabob, I think it is a touchy subject too, I know they aren't social in the wild etc, but as I see things, when you take them out of the wild, once they are "domesticated", we've messed with nature enough, and arguing about their wild counter parts becomes irrelevant otherwise no morphs would be allowed, dead food would be off the menu (as it were), handling would be out etc etc so for me, whether or not it happens in the wild becomes a hard argument to head..

The issues I think, arent a problem for me as if something goes wrong, i can sort it (unless a rare cannibal case comes in) For me, this is about displaying the pair, rather then a lack of space etc.. if the groth rate should be ok, I think I'll go for it, if not, I'll have to work out if I would like it, and keep them apart.
Josh
lotabob Posted - 20/01/2011 : 21:13:27
I get the point the pictures are making but they are King Snakes, notorious for cannibalism and general eating anything-ness.

Before I get sucked into another debate on this, the risks of cannibalism for corn snakes is very very very small but the other reasons I personally wouldn't house together are illness and monitoring. If one gets ill the other is very likely to get ill or the 'oooh that poo doesn't look right, who did that?, scenario.

Its a very touchy subject and lots of very strong opinions on it, the general forum opinion is dont house together any snake, ever. Though you will find people who have no problems, problems do occur.
Invalid User Posted - 20/01/2011 : 21:03:56
I think it sounds like you have made your mind up already.

If you have read through all the pros and cons and you know how controversial the topic can be then surely it's now down to you to make a choice.

I personally would never house hatchlings together nor would I add one to another corns viv once older/bigger.
lucyloop Posted - 20/01/2011 : 21:03:02
Josh,

Just look at the latest pics added to the thread, this can happen at any time...

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=14

Maybe housing them together would cause you no problems but would you want to risk it to find out?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000