The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 i want a snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:29:34
ok, so i really really want a snake more then anything, and my dad's all for it, but my mum hates the ifdea of a snake in the house and its her word that gose, how do i convince her that a snake is a good idea?
thanks
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
saamicaat Posted - 11/01/2011 : 21:11:58
If you read up and stuff, and show her the housing used for smaller corns such as hatchies and yearlings and then vivariums and how you can make them pretty much escape proof! Just tell her what beautiful docile animals they are, however if she has none of it I'm afraid you may have to wait untill you leave home! Would she let you have a small lizard ie. a gecko? If she said she would just tell her snakes are lizars, without legs
good luck on convincing her!
herriotfan Posted - 11/01/2011 : 21:10:13
Darcy374 I was petrified of snakes when I was younger and now I'm addicted to them!!!! So there is hope for you yet. Do you have any friends with a cornsnake that would let your mum just look at them from a distance then gradually let her get used to them? If she could overcome her fear do you think you could have one?
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 19:32:52
its not so much the responsibility, its more her fear of snakes
EmmaJayne Posted - 11/01/2011 : 19:31:27
I had exactly the same problem as you! My dad was all for it but my mums terrified of them! In the end I did what tiffany said and did what I could to show her I was serious and new what I was doing and then my dad helped me convince her aswell :)
Tiffany-x Posted - 11/01/2011 : 19:10:35
Cram, trust me. I learnt as much as possible, and then just kept telling my mum things about them, about their size, what they eat, then just other random facts, it made her realise I was serious about looking after it myself, and now I have my beautiful girl! :P
Tiffany-x
herriotfan Posted - 11/01/2011 : 18:36:44
You need to prove to her that you can be really responsible and take care of it well. Let her know that you've done your research. Show her this website and tell her we will be happy to answer any questions she might have. Ask your dad if he will help you to persuade her. You also need to think in advance about what would happen to your snake if you leave home to go to uni in a few years time. Does she know about having mice in the freezer? How will you reassure her that human and snake food will not touch each other. I'm sure if you do lots of research and try to prove how knowledgable you are and how you've worked out solutions to any possible problems then she'll perhaps reconsider. Good luck!!!!
Red123 Posted - 11/01/2011 : 18:24:39
Maybe if you kept the snake in your bedroom and promised to clean your room and change your bed etc she would let you have a snake as she would never have to see it. If you manange to persuade her to let you have one i'm sure eventually she will want to see it and may even grow to like it.
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 18:17:01
Emotional blackmail works a treat lol
saamicaat Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:59:02
My mum hates snakes and creepy crawlies/reptiles though she love BTS' crazy lady..anyway when I told her I wanted a snake I told her I'd pay for everything (which I have so far and will continue to do so) and researched into it! She let me get one as she knew my stepdad would help me out if I needed it but I've been pretty much independant with Medusa. When we picked her up my mum mellowed a bit because she was so small and cute! My mum adores her now and thinks she's our 'little girl' but it changed her perseptive on reptiles, she won't hold her though but isn't so fussed about it as I looked into it for a good few months, contacted numerous breeders and went to an aquatics store that also stocks reptiles even though their prices are stupid (Japanese Joi Company, in Henlow, you may have heard of it!) anyway do your research and show her you're commited to it and see what she says :) Or even take her to see a few, she still may say no but you've got to respect her if she has a phobia or anything :) Good Luck!
Thante Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:50:19
you could just respect your mothers wishes and wait till you leave home. Its what I did and I'm glad i have.
I've wanted snakes since i was a small child, and in the end just excepted that my mum didn't. Its given her time to get over her worries and she will even handle Cherry when visiting.

It also meant that there where no arguments or disagreements over it, I have my own home, and its up to me who or what lives there. I wouldn't want anyone else coming to my house and bringing a giant yellow slug (i'm terrified of slugs).
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:45:25
i'll try again closer to my birthday, maybe my dad can talk her into it :)
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:43:41
oh righttt :) yeah my mum was like that and she still is :') was pretty funny when tangoo got out last seen as my mum wouldnt even dare to go upstairs :) lol! just always make sure the viv doors are shut and your mum should be alright :) x
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:39:12
shes fine with everything exept the idea of a snake, she just cant stand to be around them
n/a Posted - 11/01/2011 : 17:32:57
just buy the one you want and then she cant really say no cuz you would already have ;D hahaa

orrrrrrr..........

you say to her that you will pay out for the costs of it and that. and that having a snake will give you more responsibility and that you will look after it all the time x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000