The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Omg is she pregnant?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 02:02:27
Well, when I first got my 2008 Normal corn, I noticed she had a small bulge in her tummy, now this could have been just from the way she went over my hand, having never held a fully grown corn before it could easily have been.
Also she doesn't seem to be interested in food either, which I am told is another sign of been pregnant.
I also just thought I saw a bulge in her tummy again (might be my imagination a bit though).
And just been discussing the way she is acting with a friend from here, and he agrees it appears as if she could be pregnant.
I have messaged the previous owner and asked him if she was put in with any males, not even for the purpose of breeding but just at all to see if theres a chance she is.
Just wondering what you folks thought about it?
Been more experienced reptile keepers than myself you may be able to shed some light on the situation.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
smart bunny Posted - 23/06/2013 : 18:37:34
Nah - there was an 09 one the other day... :P
a33272 Posted - 23/06/2013 : 16:29:10
2 and a half years old...... gotta be a record surely
gmac Posted - 22/06/2013 : 14:58:37
Only1Nitro Posted - 22/06/2013 : 14:35:19
what was the result?
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 23:19:35
What is a tell tail sign of her looking for a nest box?
She loves to investigate as it is, so might not really be able to tell the difference.
Doogle Posted - 09/01/2011 : 21:57:08
Yeah but if she is going to lay you need to put in a nest box! A container the size of a icecream container with damp moss in with a hole cut in the side slightly wider than the thinkness of the snake! She needs this to lay in to feel secure and the moisture of the moss helps her and the eggs!

She should shed 10 days or so before she lays so look for the shed and keep eye on her searching for a place to lay! (nest box)

Cheers Jamie

Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 21:26:22
Well half of her viv is bark chips and half is aspen, so she has a side to get her shed off with and a nice cosy warm side to sleep and warm up in.
Doogle Posted - 09/01/2011 : 20:51:43
Dont forget to put a nesting box in there with her in case she is, as she will look for somewhere warm and moist to lay!

Keep us updated mate!
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 20:40:09
Well I have the incubator ready anyway, it's sat there doing nothing, and I'm not really that bothered either way, if she is then great I can make a little money but it will still only be a hollow victory as it wasn't a male I owned who got her pregnant.
But if she isn't I don't have to worry about incubation and etc...
I can take it or leave it, but thanks to everyone for the help/advice.
Doogle Posted - 09/01/2011 : 18:44:16
HI Mate, The only why to find out is first find out that she has been with a male or all your excitement will be for nothing! lol

But as said about! Its very hard to see a gravid snake by looking at it! Yeah some do show it and look like they gonna burst but some you would never know!

If you hold her gently in your hands close to the floor and let her slither away from you so she is going forward and use your index finger and press gently into her belly and pull your finger along the belly! You should be able to feel the bumps of the eggs and sometimes be able to count how many is in there!

Goodluck!

Cheers Jamie
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 18:19:55
It would be kinda cool I know :).
I happen to have just made an incubator too as I was hoping to breed her when I could afford a male.
Would work out brilliantly if she was gravid.
baitman Posted - 09/01/2011 : 17:44:09
if you have just got and she IS gravid then you have a result my friend......
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 16:56:59
Oh yeah she is more than able to cope with being pregnant, she's an early '08, not sure on weight and well over 5foot long.
Benji54 Posted - 09/01/2011 : 16:40:49
i dont have enough experience with gravid snakes to help but good luck OHO! im assuming she's a REASONABLE size and weight? maye not perfect but ok to cope with it??

like i said good luck and kehhlyr, wicked analogy with the smarties tube! with that and the dogs fighting one your pretty good at those eh? :)
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 15:59:10
It may have just been the way she was sat K, as it was the first time I've held a snake thats anything bigger than a hatchling, but thought it was worth asking around.
And yes the lad I spoke to works in a reptile shop.
I also just spoke to the guy I got my Pythons off, who I trust a lot, and he says she sounds gravid.
Not definite obviously, but I will keep a close eye on her.
And I don't know baitman, I haven't had her long, but just messaged the previous owner to find out if he put her in with a male.
baitman Posted - 09/01/2011 : 09:35:21
this may sound silly but when was she with a male last and for how long
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/01/2011 : 02:43:05
You don't often have a single visible bulge if a female corn is gravid.
Most of the time it's only really noticable if the snake was underweight to start with, or if the snake is really stretched out.
Even then it's more the feeling of the snake as well, imagine putting half a dozen large marbles into a smarties tube, you wouldn't notice it easily, but if you ran your hands down the tube you'd feel it.

The person that you spoke to from here, did they have any experience with gravid snakes?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000