The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 How long would you leave it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:11:35
Well my '08 Normal won't eat her weaner rat.
Just wondering how long you guys would leave the rat in the viv for?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nails Posted - 09/01/2011 : 20:08:14
i leave mine in overnight on the cool end, on the log, i take it out when i get up. But i only need to do it for the python the corns feed and then go back in their viv.
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 16:58:59
Always been on rats.
At the time of buying her I didn't have any car insurance, so I asked the previous owner to bring 1 of whatever she has been eating, and he brought a weaner rat.
a33272 Posted - 09/01/2011 : 16:09:02
has she always been on rats or is this a change to them?
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 16:05:03
I put on her log, to keep it cool, but she hasn't eaten it this morning when I woke up so chucked it away, she didn't even sniff at it when I moved it right passed her head.
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/01/2011 : 01:59:56
So long as it's not in there on a warm spot for anything more than 24 hours then it should be ok.
On a warm patch (heat mat etc) then 12 hours max IMO.
Oh How Original Posted - 09/01/2011 : 01:15:12
Ahh thanks for the tip, I have just checked the rat for any signs of "rotting" and doesn't appear to be any, so I will probably leave it in over night, I am up fairly early anyway to go get a RUB for this new Royal.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/01/2011 : 21:19:27
Aye, it's always worth it.
You're gonna end up wasting the mousey anyway, so you may as well give the snake the longest time to eat it that you can before binning the food.
I've had to leave food items in for long periods in the past, quite often in the dead of the night when the house is silent that's when snakie will decide to eat.
Oh How Original Posted - 08/01/2011 : 20:51:39
Do you think it's worth it though if she has made no attempt at it?
Well saying that she has.
She has stretched her mouth a few times, not near it, but first time I have seen her do it since the rat went in.
She has also laid on top of it, but just won't actually take it down.
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:32:29
If it went in at 6.30 then there would be no harm in leaving it in there until tomorrow morning.
Oh How Original Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:28:02
Well it went in at roughly 6:30 so I will give it until about 10pm, if she has shown no interested then just try again next week.
gmac Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:20:07
I feed my lot at night and if there are any that dont feed I leave it in the viv overnight and remove it in the morning if its still there. but leave it in the cold end, you dont need to cook the rat for your snake
lotabob Posted - 08/01/2011 : 19:16:39
Never PMSL, I feed out of the vivarium.

I woulds say its good for an hour maybe two before it will start to go off especially in a viv thats kept warm.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000