The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Girl... or boy??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 06/01/2011 : 20:51:44
Hello lovely snakey people!
I've been searching on here for the answer but there's just so much information I got a bit lost!!
Can someone please tell me at what age it is safe to find out the sex of a Corn Snake??
I keep calling Carlyn 'he' but would really like to know for sure!
I've owned 'him' for around 4 months and think he is around the 6 month mark.
Many thanks xx
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cornflake1 Posted - 07/01/2011 : 22:46:35
male cornsnakes have thicker tails than females
n/a Posted - 07/01/2011 : 20:33:42
Aww ok thanks eeji, my local reptile shop are amazing, but will leave it and have a think about whether I really need to know!
eeji Posted - 07/01/2011 : 19:54:57
if s/he is probed correctly by someone who knows what they're doing then it won't cause any pain. Its if its done incorrectly when the damage can be done.
n/a Posted - 07/01/2011 : 17:28:29
Thanks guys! Does it cause any discomfort or pain to the snake to get it probed?
Dont wanna hurt the little guy just to satisfy my curiosity!
mikerichards Posted - 07/01/2011 : 13:00:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ammerz

A good way to tell it the length of the tail. Generally males have much longer tails than females. This isnt a 100% method, but if you just want to know what sex it is just so you can get the he/she part right it is probably good enough.

This is ok if you have plenty of experience, and if you have a snake that's about 2ft or more. If you don't know what to look for then you have no chance of accuracy, just a 50/50 guess. I have been doing it for years and still only right 90% of the time.

You need to get it popped or probed to be sure.
herriotfan Posted - 07/01/2011 : 09:51:21
The only problem with 'tail sexing' is you need more than one to compare if you're new to snakes.
Ammerz Posted - 07/01/2011 : 00:24:32
A good way to tell it the length of the tail. Generally males have much longer tails than females. This isnt a 100% method, but if you just want to know what sex it is just so you can get the he/she part right it is probably good enough.
Kehhlyr Posted - 06/01/2011 : 23:39:31
Not necessarily just for breeding.
Sometimes it's just nice to know.
lotabob Posted - 06/01/2011 : 22:35:29
You can sex them at any age, the method just changes as they get older. Speak to your local reptile shop or the person who supplied your snake and they should be able to sex the snake for you. DONT attempt it yourself you can and probably will do serious damage to answer a question you only really need to know if your planning on breeding it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000