The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Got Gollum,, and more,,,, advice??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dizzie85 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:34:21
Gollum arrived today and through no fault of the person I got it from as I have had her stock personaly and can vouch they have all been clean and in good conditions.
As soon as I opened the door... YUou could tell this was not!!

The stench that hit us upon opening the home made viv was overwhelming! I Firstly evicted the fauns from the 3foot viv... got all my adult corn stuff out (I shopped in advance back in September for big water bowls n caves for Charlie when I first got him not realising he would be so small lol).
Anyhow I set up the big viv and braved opening the doors again not caring at this point wether the snake inside would strike bite or whatever but was amazed he came to me handled like a dream to transfer into his new home.

I watched him explore his new home in awe was so nice to see! First thing he did was go for the water bowl (which I noticed in his viv no water supply included).
Turning my attentions back to his old viv I pegged my nose and went in with rubber gloves and a big bin bag... OMG there were pieces of shed in there, 2 mice!! dead decomposing!!! and there just the ones I saw ,,, there was soo much pooh in there I dno how much an adult poos but mine only do it once a week and it is cleaned straight out!
Ive put it outside and will hose and bleach it in the morning but it was bulb heated.
I hadnt intended on moving him into my snakes viv but I had no choice (mine were in fauns in there) ...

I had a spare heatmat but only one thermostat and one digital thermomiter....
Till morning thats all I have.... How do you advise I proceed ... the fauns run off one heatmat,.. the viv has the other but how to divide the thermostat and digi thermomiter over night?!

In no way am I blaming the person who I got it from as I know she was selling it on behalf of someone but with all the conditions in mind what next?

His shed didnt look great and deffo wasnt in one piece! 2 decomposing mice... did he regurge....or just not eat them...

Above and beyong everything else though he seems like a gentle giant part of some of the shed looked fresh and he looks shiny but being a snow would u notice if he had mites or anything??

will upload a pic of him in his new enclosure.. he is 5ft something and ive just put him into a 3ft by 1ft viv.

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dizzie85 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 22:12:06
That's reassuring (I think my charlie a hatchling is fat then cos he is very round lmao)- mind so is my dog and my rabbit ,,, I always like to know I am feeding enough,,, n usually go a bit over the other way!! (lucky the kids know their own limits lol)
EmmaJayne Posted - 05/01/2011 : 22:11:52
Poor thing! I am glad he is safe and happy now, well done :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 22:04:57
Weight wise he looks fine to me, certainly doesn't look like he needs to put any on anytime soon.
dizzie85 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 21:52:49
I hope so! I have to say without this site I dont think I would of known what to do.. still not sure I do but so far even at all my silly questions people have been so friendly on here! His well being depends on u guys I feel I dont have the knowledge or experience to take on a problem snake just praying he isnt a regurger! If that's the case though think I may source my local reptile vet and go from there... He looks healthy though maybe benefit from gaining a few lbs but his toungues out flicking ten to the dozen hoping its just tlc and in a way also hoping my standards are just higher n his conditions arent as bad as I am worrying they were only as I understood it their pooh was toxic and had to be removed asap each time but there was more pooh than hay in there! was an awful mix you couldnt even see the mice until the first few top layers of the hay were binned I didnt notice them till near the bottom!
scubadude Posted - 05/01/2011 : 21:36:42
Good Job dizzie at least gollum is safe and sound now, good luck with him.
dizzie85 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 21:06:17
I was worried someone would say that lol! 2 weeks!! he is in my living room right opposite me... tempting much 7 days would be hard but on this occasion I am inclined to agree thats probably very good advice.... he hopefully has a long lasting life with us 2 weeks for his own benefit... gosh guys u best keep me entertained on here pmsl!! I did look and havent seen anything untoward on him so thats a saving grace! I will do the reptiboost as Im a worrier best be safe than sorry n he looks like a few extra lbs going his way would be apprechiated!
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 20:15:18
With everything taken into account I would give him at least 2 weeks to settle in with zero handling- water changes only, and spot checks. Put Reptoboost in his water if you are worried about not feeding him.

Being a snow stripe mites would be very obvious- they are black. Check especially on the belly, around the eyes and nostrils and around the vent.
saamicaat Posted - 05/01/2011 : 20:11:40
Gollums so lucky to have a new home and a good owner!
hope all goes well! x
Invalid User Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:02:13
Poor snakey.

I am so glad he is safe with you now.
dizzie85 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:44:23
There is another plug on the thermostat that the light on the viv was plugged into but I put the thermostat on the fauns as they are the ones that have been moved and not in sight (they have had to go upstairs for now as thats the only safe place.. as I said they have been locked in the vivs so the kids cant get to them.
Im just hoping ive taken on a healthy snake!!! If not gna take all ur guys exerience up cos I not givin up on him no way he gorgeous!! Will be getting him out of the viv to feed when I do feed him but really worried dont fancy a regurge on my hands... I think this site may become my lifeline for a lil while lol!! Im hoping he has just been fed in the viv and not spotted these though??

I am so glad I got him and heres to hoping his life goes in a whole new direction for the better from now on :)
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:39:57
I have read that you can run 2 mats off one thermostat but the mats must be the same size and wattage. At least Gollum has a nice new home now and a nice clean one!! Hope all goes well with him.
lrv2307 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:36:34
aawww dizzy poor lil fella!! bet your so glad you did buy/rescue him from that hell

omg, keep us posted on how he does

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000