The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 i have a problem with my baby corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 30/12/2010 : 05:34:56
i woundered if any one could help ive had my corn snake 5 weeks and hes refused to eat for 3 weeks .. i have no idea whats up with him he keeps hiding sometimes then he stay in one place behind his hide or his water bowl ... hes not hissy or anythink we handle him and while and then put him back in his cage .. and he just does the same things ... i keep trying him on food but he just leaves it .. im getting quit worrying should i take him to the vet ?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 03/01/2011 : 10:14:52
yea i do now that u now
scubadude Posted - 02/01/2011 : 15:04:04
Hi kimmy, as with Corns only Thawed/frozen on the menu for Palin, as for ascertaining a snakes sex, usually your breeder will tell you, or if you get them from a reptile shop they will use a small probe to determine it's sex or use a method called 'popping' (both these should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing as can injure the snake)
In Palins Case the guy at the rep shops probe had gone missing so I will pop back with her one time when I'm picking up some food and get him/her checked out.
n/a Posted - 02/01/2011 : 13:58:29
yea he/she has lovely markings do u feed him/her live on live mouse or rats?how can u tell is there a surton age he or she has to be to get to now if they are boys or girls? because i dont now what my corn snake is boy or girl to get her or she to be proped kimmy AND THANKX FOR ALL UR HELP
SCUBADUDE X
scubadude Posted - 01/01/2011 : 18:50:10
Kimmy, Glad to hear your snake has eaten, just like Dodge hates being watched, as for Palin He/she has only been with me for a week. Not sure of the sex as I fell in love with the markings, and a very calm young snake. I'll need to find out as I plan to get a potential mate for Palin for future breeding.
n/a Posted - 01/01/2011 : 15:31:50
ok fine its ok now ive sorted what the problem it was because i was in the room HE DONT LIKE PEOPLE WACHING HIM EAT I NOW THAT JUST FORGOT ABOUT IT....when i try him and be4 i dont think he was hungry i feed HIM ever friday i did last night i had an idea and it worked im soo happy now... i made pinkie bleed then wiggle it near him for a little while and he went for it but i drop it by mistake so i had to TAKE the stuff off what was stuck to it... then where he hides most i put IT there and i always leave it in over night ,, im not THAT stupid ouder the newspaper and left him with IT WITH my bedroom light ofF as i went to bed and woke up this morning to check he was ok the pinkiy was gone so he eat it ..... THANKX FOR ALL OFF UR HELP U GUYS ,,, HEY scubadude? NICE python YOU HAVE THERE HOW LONG U HAD HIM OR HER? KIMMY
scubadude Posted - 31/12/2010 : 16:23:52
Dodge won't strike feed and is in a reasonably large RUB at 9l, but has a small exoterra snake cave, and the rest of the floor other than a water bowl is near enough covered with half sections of loo roll tube and a large piece of fake ivy. I've found if I put his pinkie in the cave and turn out the lights, and leave the room quiet it's gone in 5 mins. You have to remember these snake hatchling in the wild are predated by just about anything that can fit them in their mouths. As I was advised by Sue Grubba, calm quiet and try and make the room twilight light levels. And in dodges' case it works. give it a try.
Good luck with getting snakey munching, and easy as it is to say, don't get stressed about it.
dizzie85 Posted - 31/12/2010 : 11:36:17
Have you tried leaving the pinky in the faun with the snake over night? Maybe on some kitchen roll where there is no chance of snakey absorbing any substrate? I wouldnt be too concerned just yet but would be looking through all the stickies on hints on what could be upsetting lil snakey!
stotty01 Posted - 31/12/2010 : 10:21:54
just dont worry about it, a corn hatchling could not eat for a few months easily without harm :)
n/a Posted - 31/12/2010 : 05:45:48
sorry what u mean by ?
stotty01 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:34:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

. Lucky you don't have a royal either, the one I was looking after for a while only ate 3 or 4 times in a year.

And welcome to the forum.

correct, my royal hasnt had any feeds since i have had him for a month and a half, getting a pain in the bum now 3 months is nothing to a hatchling nothin to worry welcome
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 13:42:26
oh i see...yeah u didnt mention it was so young...
eeji's advice for the win then!
n/a Posted - 30/12/2010 : 13:22:56
well thankx ur help but the vets say that its a problem if its a baby corn snake it has to eat ... that when its adult it does not matter much because they live with food for mouths ..i cant really say about hes age because the vets never told me the age of him when i got him...to me i think hes a boy i think hes longer than 30cm so i cant really help u on that one and everytime i clean him out i always make sure his hides are in the same places ,,, because i now corn snakes are a bit fussy
eeji Posted - 30/12/2010 : 12:53:19
tiny enclosure, lots of hiding places, no handling at all (except for moving while cleaning), and after a week of this try a bolied pinky.
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 10:50:31
yeah royals are a funny bunch for feeding. i count myself lucky with ophion. only very occasionally turns down food. i wonder why they're like that? kimmy, as kehhlyr says, 3 weeks isnt such a long time, just make sure all the care sheet boxes are ticked so to speak and keep trying. if the snake turns away food, DONT try again the next day, wait until the next feeding day is my normal method (and i think most people's) otherwise you just stress em out. As kehhlyr says, if you let us know what size age etx the snake is and what its supposed to be eating, i might be able to offer a little more help.

All the best and good luck! :)
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/12/2010 : 06:00:33
Have a looky through our care sheet, that should give some info on there in regards the little snakes home as it could be something to do with that.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Aside from that there could be many reasons, if you could provide a bit more info in regards the rough age and size of the snake as well as if it's male or female as well, cheers.
3 weeks is not really a long time to go without food, I've just had a snake eat for the first time in over 2 months. Lucky you don't have a royal either, the one I was looking after for a while only ate 3 or 4 times in a year.

And welcome to the forum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000