The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Help needed with temp error

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dizzie85 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:20:11
Grr I have the temp probe on Matildas faun. Pinned in place by the weight of her hide (ok wasnt a great idea in hindsight) the temp reading has dropped from 28-30 to 25 .. The thermostat hasnt been altered so Im thinking she has knocked it out of place.... which is all well and good but I haven't seen her for a couple of days (boxing day when I moved the viv and went to pick her up realising she was about to shed) soo its feeding day today and still I havent seen her so Im thinking ,,, what to do? go in disturb her to check on the thermostat probe (which in hindsight is soo badly placed directly n the hide she is currently in) OR turn the temps up slightly OR leave well alone for a couple of days? Suggestions please?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dizzie85 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 21:40:48
Haha too right! my 3 year old used to constantly mess with the thermostat though so was moved out of his reach so I see it unlikely BUT not impossible... if kids want to do something they find a way I have found! 7yr old, 3 y/0 and a 18m/o.... Im surprised the snakes have lasted this long without a catastrophe pmsl!
lotabob Posted - 29/12/2010 : 21:18:57
Yeah but whats the point of having kids if you can't blame them for unexplainable things from time to time. Poor Matilda suffering from the blues. One days extra wait won't do them any harm at all, best to get the temps sorted first.
dizzie85 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 21:02:18
We're up to 27.3 I try to aim for 28 as it tends fluctuate between 28-30 then .... . Might give a miss on feeding both though today as Charlie I noticed is in hide,,, maybe because of the temp drop but would rather know my temps are back stable before attempting to feed though Matilda is too deep in "blue" to feed anyway usually she is out and waiting for it. Charlie had a fuzzy last week for the first time so wont hurt him to wait a day or two extra whilst I get my temps under control again! Cant seehow the kids could of knocked the thermostat though as its behind the unit but its the only explanation I can think of.
lotabob Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:53:11
Well at least you have an idea why your readings went haywire and that Matilda is OK. Like you say just keep an eye on the temps for a few hours and see if it settles down.
dizzie85 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:47:09
Ok she's in there all curled up and saw her poke her head out. The probes in the right place but the heatmat is cold ... which would explain the readings! Soo turned the thermostat up (maybe the kids have knocked it?) will keep my eye temps rise but if not have a spare one to put in place if it is the heatmat that's faulty.
dizzie85 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:30:31
Sorry its the temp probe not the thermostat one I am worried about. Have a gutting feeling in my tummy what if I open the viv and she either isnt in there or something bad as happened as she usually shedding or not she is lively and only goes into that hide once she has fed. My other half who HATES snakes has agreed to once I have let him eat his dinner put his hand in to grab the probe out as it probably would be more suited in Charlies faun as his is bigger. She is likely to strike and bite for being disturbed,, she is tempremental at the best of times but really feeling silly I should of foresaw this!! Wish me luck he has nearly finished his tea and is going in to check for me she is 1- ok and 2 to get the probe out for me so I can place it somewhere more reliable and not so silly!
lotabob Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:25:09
If you think your probes aren't in place and the mat could potentially be going up to dangerous levels, disturb her. If it has suddenly started giving odd readings then it is best to check. A few minutes of disruption is much better than 6+ months of treatments for burns.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000