The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Guniea pigs and rabbits?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 20:17:18
My sister breeds loads of guinea pigs and rabbits and occasionally she will have a still born baby or one will die soon after being born due to the mothers inexperience. She has offered any such babies as food for my adult corns. Can they eat newborn guineas and rabbits? This would not be as a regular feed just as the occasional treat!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 01/01/2011 : 16:25:54
Yes they are wormed twice a year with panacur (spelling?) and they are also treated with ivermec.
Sta~ple Posted - 01/01/2011 : 15:23:58
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

A couple day old bunny/kitten/child/guinea that has died simply because it's been the runt and not been able to get on mums nipple is fair game in my opinion.

I agree :)

Would have to be occasional though I would think as they would be quite fatty since they would be baby animals I would guess, but I guess how occasional it is depends on how many runts there are :D which mine got a nice varied diet. Does she worm the Mums? I don't know how rabbit wormers would effect snakes or if rabbit or gpig worms would effect snakes though.
Ammerz Posted - 30/12/2010 : 21:14:13
It shouldnt be a problem, we always used to use any one that died in the animal centre at college to feed to the snakes. They had a very exotic diet on occasion. Degu, marmosets, baby rabbits... it was a bit of a waste not philsophy at college. My friend also gives his snakes any of his rats or gerbils that die. Most parasites are species specific, so its unlikely to effect your snakes. Also I would assume your sister has a prophylactic care routine to keep her pets parasite free, so there should be an issue.
Red123 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 20:14:26
I know what you mean Louise, If the guineas and rabbits were my own pets I don't think I would be able to feed them either, but I have no emotional attachment to my sisters animals so it would feel no different to going to the pet shop and buying frozen rodents. I still haven't decided whether to feed these or not though. I can see where people are coming from regarding possible feotus infections etc, its just something I am considering as one of my adults is not a good feeder so wondered if something different might encourage him to eat more regularly.
Invalid User Posted - 30/12/2010 : 20:03:11
I used to breed rabbits but I wouldn't have been able to feed any still born babies to my snakes. I wouldn't have liked to as I would be too upset if they were my pets, no matter how young.

I prefer to get dead food from the petshop then I am not emotionally attached to them.

Tiffany-x Posted - 30/12/2010 : 17:08:43
:O How dare you!? Thats not very nice! Dont get me wrong, Im animal mad, but Im even more baby mad! I love kids, not all kids are bad, only if they dont get taught right from wrong properly. After all, mankind has the highest intelligence, if it was the other way round guinea pigs and bunnys would be the ones driving cars and stuff, but they arent! Muahahaha!! ;)
Tiffany-x
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 16:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Dont be so mean K, fair enough feeding our furry friends to our scaley pets but children is a bit extreme, behave yourself!! :P
Tiffany-x

i dunno, some kids are quite naughty and some guinea pigs are quite friendly! whats good for the goose and all that! ROFL!
Tiffany-x Posted - 30/12/2010 : 16:03:47
Dont be so mean K, fair enough feeding our furry friends to our scaley pets but children is a bit extreme, behave yourself!! :P
Tiffany-x
Kehhlyr Posted - 30/12/2010 : 15:21:39
I wouldn't feed still born ones, you have no idea what they died from before they were born. Infections in the foetus can be common but you have no way of knowing how that could affect your snake.
A couple day old bunny/kitten/child/guinea that has died simply because it's been the runt and not been able to get on mums nipple is fair game in my opinion.
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:44:27
nah i think thats a fair point. i hadnt really thort of that but a lot of people DO breed their own prey and i cant really see how that differs. its easy to think of the shop bought ones being born bred and killed in sterilised conditions but your quite right...well i guess give it a go then? it cant be as "dirty" as some of the stuff they eat in the wild i guess, but there again wild snakes would have a far better immune system...its a toughie, just do what u thinks best and good luck!
Red123 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 14:28:26
I wouldn't feed them as she finds them. She checks at least 3 times a day for still born and they would be frozen for at least 48 hours before being defrosted and fed, obviously they may stay in the freezer longer than 48 hours. Is this very different to how rodents are bred and killed for the purpose of reptile food. I'm afraid i've never had any dealings with people who breed rodents as a food source I only but them from the pet shop. Sorry if I am being thick.
Benji54 Posted - 30/12/2010 : 10:32:12
gotta say im with lotabob. it would be convenient for u i spose but i dont think the risk is worth it. After all, ur never guna be 100% sure what the rabbit died of.
lotabob Posted - 29/12/2010 : 21:46:21
I wouldn't! Size shouldnt be an issue for an adult corn, new born baby rabbits are titchy. I would be worried about any nasties. Mice in pet shops are bred, fed & get dead in a controlled, clean manner, its almost certain that the micicles you buy are bug, virus, parasite free and are frozen at the time of death to stop any decomposition. If you have these kinds of controls in place then as long as the size is right then go for it, otherwise its not worth it, snakes dont appreciate treats, they eat to survive, they get everything they need from the mice so if its not broke, dont fix it.
a33272 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 21:24:45
i think the size might be the issue

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000