The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 heating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rockroyal Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:16:13
could someone clear up this little matter please?

i was told when i bought my corn to turn off the heat lamp at night? is this true
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rockroyal Posted - 21/12/2010 : 05:13:01
boz has his heat light on for 11 hours a day . think i`ll be changing to a ceramic heat lamp on a dimmer stat and a normal energy saving buld for light
gmac Posted - 20/12/2010 : 23:01:21
i would have it on all the time so as to provide permanent heat for your corn. You could change over to a red or other coloured bulb so as not to have white light all the time.
lotabob Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:59:30
I was also told this but found that Spot would come out when the light went off but would then go back into hiding as the temperature dropped. I now have a heat mat (with stat) in the hot end running constantly at 28 degrees as well as the light that matches daylight hours and 30 degrees temperature, now Spot comes out at sunset and is out most of the night. My setup is overkill though, you don't need both. A heat mat is actually better as its allows better 24 hour heat regulation but I like the light on during the day and personally think that on these darker days it keeps Spot's body clock in check (a light on 24 hours a day may irritate and stress the snake). Remember that once the light is off the temperature in the hot end will slowly fall to a similar heat of the cold end, there is a small amount of stored heat coming off the decor and substrate but that probably won't last all night (it didn't when I tested it, three hours tops).
rockroyal Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:30:58
just using a 40w this keeps the warm end of the viv at 30 and the cool end at 22 yes it has a guard
gmac Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:20:01
nope, the corn need the heat at night aswel so the temps should be constant day and night

wee edit, are you using only the light for heat or any other source with it

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000