The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Should I move Charlie up to a fuzzy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dizzie85 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 19:13:10
Just a quickie. He hatched August 10 so he is 4months old? But he is big!! To give you an idea when we got matilda a month later who was also born a month later she was bigger than he was but he just seemed to shoot infront all of a sudden. I would say nearing 2ft mark and considering moving him out of the faun and hurrying up the viv partition as he doesnt look like he has much room in his faun anymore and I was told he would be fine there till he was 18months ish!
Currently fed 1 large pinkie that could even be partially a fuzzy lol as I noticed all had the beginings of fur coming through and prominent whiskas. (unlike the barely recognisable as mice we previously had). He seems to be doing ok on them but that tell tale lump is becoming less and less obvious. Im considering feeding him 2 tonight (he's due his weekly feed) and see how he goes to wether he could manage a full fuzzy.. Its just that he seems so much bigger than the pinkies at the moment.

I have tried looking for a thread on here for an idea but my search skills are yet to develop lol!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dizzie85 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 20:57:08
Ah yeah I never had to worry before as the pinkies were too small! 10 mins in hot water they were warm, they're getting bigger so been leaving them 15mins in the hot water and then putting them in the rubs on a spare heatpad for 20mins before introducing snake but how do you really know if they are ready? not had a problem yet but as they are getting bigger I think the leave to defrost normally would be better than trying to fast defrost so they have been out since 7pm at room temp so far and will warm them up 10mins in hot water prior to giving them.
The pet shop here isn't that great to be honest they had an amazing caramel stripe in and I really wanted him and I may well of got him except the other half who doesn't share my interests pulled me aside and told me to take a good hard look at the reptiles conditions! Each snake had old sheds in, they were kept in tiny transporting cases is all I know what to call them and they didnt look like they had been cleaned out for a LONG time older than the snakes actually looked!
Which is when I decided no more impulse buying cute snakes im waiting for my third next year my order is already in for a royal.

herriotfan Posted - 15/12/2010 : 20:43:48
Not the best plan to risk them eating a mouse that's still partly frozen either!!
If the woman in the shop got a sale I don't see her problem!!
dizzie85 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 20:37:43
yeah we choose the last lot individually but she did look a bit peed off with me tbh because I told her the little ones were too little and the fuzzies were too big so she really did have to go out of her way to get ones I felt were the right size then route through 2 big bags for my approval on each mouse than went into it pmsl.
He is big but to me he looks thin but then I do say that about my dog but others say she looks tubby so could be my outlook :) (the dog that is).

None of them are out searching at the moment but it's feeding day! 3 inbetweeners defrosting in the kitchen.. was going to defrost them by the viv on the heaqtpad where theres a litttle bit of space instead of hot water for 15mins but then realised whilst it may be amusing to see the snakes realise food is coming and see them liven up I wouldnt be seeing the funny side if they bit me thinking I was their food when I get them out later hehe!
herriotfan Posted - 15/12/2010 : 20:18:00
If you go on the rough guide of the mouse being one and a half times the girth of your snake you won't go far wrong. Is it possible for you to see the mice before you buy them to choose your own? The local reptile places I go will let you choose for yourself. That way you get the best size for your snake.
If he's growing as well as you say I wouldn't think you're underfeeding him!!
dizzie85 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 19:43:23
Matilda (my younger snake) only just managing these pinkie/fuzzies they are on at the moment so none will go to waste. I just wonder wouldnt 1 normal sized fuzzy be better than 2 of the inbetweeners as surely that would be a much larger meal than just one fuzzy! (these are really borderline of both that they are on selected especially so they're inbertweeners lol. I'm not worried as such just trying to make sure I am not underfeeding him as he does seem to be getting big quick.
herriotfan Posted - 15/12/2010 : 19:37:32
Try him on two pinkies and if he's ok then give him two each meal until they're used up (no point in them going to waste, or do you plan on another hatchling to feed!?) then move up a size.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000