The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Habitat Concepts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
oakleyman18 Posted - 12/12/2010 : 11:28:12
Hi All!

As some of you know, I'm in the process of designing my own Vivarium for my final year project at Uni, and I was hoping to have a little bit of input from you guys!

These are two concepts which I've created thus far, if you could give each a rating out of 10 for Aesthetics, and then a rating for how comfortable you think a Reptile/amphibian would be inside one. Be critical! Any suggestions welcome!

Concept 1 - All glass and black plastic conctruction.

Concept 2 - Wooden construction, with glass habitat seperately sealed to prevent rotting.

Thanks guys!

Oscar
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 15/12/2010 : 13:12:49
i don't think you'll have any trouble getting orders for these! :D
oakleyman18 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 12:05:06
Wow guys thanks for the responses!! I can only put so much info up on here, can't tell you exactly how they're all made otherwise you'd make your own!! Although I would be very flattered

Quick points -

Access to the second is probably going to be outwards opening doors similar to the first, these two renders were only the first ones I did about two months ago, the designs have come on a bit in details and technical spec since then.

Ventilation in concept 1 is thorough slots along the lower door rail, and gaps between the doors, you can ALMOST make it out. In the second, again ventilation will be through small gaps in the doors, and then also there shall be some heat release grills probably at the back to prevent it overheating.

The wooden casing and plastic casings in both concepts will be hollow structures, with humidity generation and heat mats etc on the underside, with lighting rigs on the top covers for both, I should probably also mention that both have securely clamps lids, however these can be lifted up vertical if bulbs need to be replaced.

Thanks for all your comments though guys - been a fantastic response! I shall be taking orders for corn Vivs (minus humidity regulation) in July hahaha
Mort13 Posted - 15/12/2010 : 10:38:13
They both look brill,epecially No 2.
Going to ask a very stupid question now probably How do you gain access to the second one?
scubadude Posted - 15/12/2010 : 08:05:22
they both look great, but I think No2 gets my vote.
lucyloop Posted - 14/12/2010 : 22:05:20
i love the second one, so cool!
jonoandapril Posted - 14/12/2010 : 21:32:38
wow, their awesome! id definatly buy those if i saw them in shops! i actually would not b able to decide which one to buy if i was confronted with them!
lotabob Posted - 12/12/2010 : 18:16:37
Well number 2 would be more my taste but they both look awesome, would the bit on the front be a digital readout of temps etc, if so thats brilliant.
herriotfan Posted - 12/12/2010 : 16:41:30
I'd go for number 2 as well. Just think about ventilation and cables for heating etc. Very modern and contemporary!!
stotty01 Posted - 12/12/2010 : 15:57:01
there both amazing :) i would go for the seecond one as the first design is mostly glass which will loose a fair bit of heat
Invalid User Posted - 12/12/2010 : 15:27:47
They both look fantastic.

Love concept 2.

Both 10/10 for looks.

drchino Posted - 12/12/2010 : 15:20:02
Put me down for one of each! They look awesome!
eeji Posted - 12/12/2010 : 13:52:16
10/10 for looks for both of them!

Practicality however drops in score, mainly because the doors are too low not giving room for a decent layer of substrate, the glass concept would look awesome naturally planted half land half water with some frogs inside it - and I know its only a concept but I see no ventilation ;)

There is also the question of where the heating would be placed. The wooden one would need a heat mat inside so thats no problem but for the plastic viv maybe make the base hollow with som method of putting a heat mat underneath from the back so it slides in on a very narrow shelf (ventilate the shelf to prevent heat build up), maybe also making the base deep enough to hide a thermostat inside out of sight.

good luck with the project and definitely keep us updated! :)
n/a Posted - 12/12/2010 : 13:39:38
definately like the second option better ......

very telented keep up the good work
Tiffany-x Posted - 12/12/2010 : 11:41:24
Wow! They both look great, I personally think that they look as though they are practical and I think they would certainly work in the modern home and look great at the same time too! The thing I would say about the first though is that being glass all round, it does work but if you want to see your snake sat out chilling maybe it isnt enough cover whereas with the second, because it has the back it may be better. As for appearance I think they look incredible both of them and I would happily have either in my home, but the second is my favourite!! :P
Tiffany-x

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000