The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Doesn't seem to be getting warm at all now.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 08/12/2010 : 14:08:56
Well ever since I was advised to use a thermostat with my heat mat, it always seems cold, theres SOME heat so I know it isn't broken, and the heat mat was working fine in the first place anyway so I know it works.
But the wood chip on top of the heat mat is always cold, my snake is always cold, and the temp is set at 26-27 which is what I was told to put it at.
It was fine before but then I was told by everyone here to use a thermostat, now it's always cold...
Any ideas what I can do to sort it?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Oh How Original Posted - 08/12/2010 : 20:48:16
Ahh thats put me more at ease then, just making sure he is warm enough :).
Invalid User Posted - 08/12/2010 : 18:39:48
When I tested my mat I thought it wasn't working properly but even though it didn't feel very warm the digi thermometer said the temp was at 29c. When it started to feel quite warm, the thermometer read 35c!
eeji Posted - 08/12/2010 : 18:35:43
same answer as everyone else, ignore the reading on the stat they are always way off - as an example, my stat is 'set' at 35 degrees but my thermometers (i always rely on more than one) are reading 27

and unless your snake is permanently sat on the heat mat, they'll always feel cold to the touch :)
Red123 Posted - 08/12/2010 : 17:01:12
I have to agree with Claude. I recently got a digital thermometer and was surprised to see how inaccurate the stats were.
Claude Posted - 08/12/2010 : 16:59:42
I'd take a guess and say it was far too hot before when you didn't have a stat, hence you feeling the heat. I can feel the smallest amount of heat coming from mine, but my thermometer on all three say that the temp is around 28-30. Get a thermometer as soon as possible and change it according to that.
Oh How Original Posted - 08/12/2010 : 15:38:19
No I don't have a thermometer yet, I was told to still use the stat though.
And yes I do have very little substrate above the heatmat, but even on the heatmat itself (outside the tank) it feels cold...
Mort13 Posted - 08/12/2010 : 14:36:33
Do you have a digital thermometer. If so set the temp by the reading on that rather than on the stat. If you already do then just ignore me lol!
I have mine set so it hovers around the 28 mark.
Claude Posted - 08/12/2010 : 14:20:23
It wont feel very warm at all due to the fact we have a high body temp, so won't really feel it. I pet very little substrate at all above the heatmat, and make sure the digital thermometer reads 28-30. As long as it's reading the right temp, you'll be alright.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000