The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Couple of questions about handling.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oh How Original Posted - 26/11/2010 : 16:07:14
OK firstly, is there such thing as over handling, in other words is there an unsafe amount of time to handle snakes for.
Secondly, can they go outside?
Like to the shop and stuff in summer when its hot outside?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Katie.Dublin Posted - 27/11/2010 : 03:12:02
I know what you mean! I take them outside but if i was taking them for coffee in a friends i'd bring a rub or something... Its not something i tend to do though! Although beardie comes everywhere
eeji Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:37:10
quote:
I couldn't care less if people are scared lol, theres 2 sides of a street, they can cross over lol.
Most people round here know I have snakes anyway so it's there problem not mine

quote:
Nor am I irresponsible.

thats the second time in 10 minutes i've looked for the face-in-hands smiley

I think i get what you're on about, so personally I'd not recommend it.
My original reply wasn't meant to come across as all oity-toity, so apologies if thats how it seemed
Oh How Original Posted - 26/11/2010 : 22:42:28
I know accidents can happen, I haven't said I'm going to, I was merely asking more experienced reptiles owners if they are safe to take outside.
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/11/2010 : 22:12:39
Regardless of whether or not you think you won't let him escape, I seriously recommend you rethink taking him across the roads to friends houses minus a container. Accidents happen.
Oh How Original Posted - 26/11/2010 : 21:59:40
Yeah I wouldn't take him out in the wind lol.
n/a Posted - 26/11/2010 : 21:32:44
It should be fine in the summer. Just not for to long.

And remember it's rather windy in the U.K and with them being inside their vivs/RUBS most of the time (apart from handling), they might not take to kindly to wind.

:)
Oh How Original Posted - 26/11/2010 : 21:15:07
I'm not giving anyone a bad name.
Nor am I irresponsible.
I'm not planning on taking it to the shops, it was a figure of speech as I already said if you had read the replies to the topic.
I was merely asking is it safe to take them out, without there vivs.
I'm quite comfortable in the knowledge I wouldn't let him escape or anything like that.
I was meaning for his safety.
stotty01 Posted - 26/11/2010 : 20:42:56
would no way walk around the streets with it. mine sits around my shoulder for 10 mins while im on computer then put her back she goes outside on hot summers day for 5 mins for some uv and some fresh air :)
eeji Posted - 26/11/2010 : 19:11:19
theres no benefit for the snake to be taken for a walk, and to 'take it to the shops' is imo just plain irresponsible keeping.

The thing you have to watch with handling at home is your body temperature will eventually be uncomfortable for the snake (too warm) so look out for the signs that they've had enough.
lotabob Posted - 26/11/2010 : 18:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by Oh How Original

I couldn't care less if people are scared lol, theres 2 sides of a street, they can cross over lol.
Most people round here know I have snakes anyway so it's there problem not mine.

OI, don't you be giving us snake people a bad name.
Oh How Original Posted - 26/11/2010 : 18:01:18
I don't mean literally take it to the shop, I just meant like walk around with it, or take it to a friends without the viv/tank.
As long as it's safe, I couldn't care less if people are scared lol, theres 2 sides of a street, they can cross over lol.
Most people round here know I have snakes anyway so it's there problem not mine.
Thanks a lot for telling me too, I just didn't want to stress it by handling too much, but yes he seems fine and doesn't ever seem to be warm anyway, he likes to stay cold in his viv too.
Stays away from the heat mat, I have checked to make sure its not too hot and its not, he mujst just like been cooler :)
Thanks again.
herriotfan Posted - 26/11/2010 : 17:52:19
If the snake has no problems with being handled a lot then I don't see a big issue as long as you make sure they are left alone after feeding and that they don't get too cold.
They can go outside in the summer and there are lots of photos on here of some in their gardens. I don't let mine go on the ground tho' just in case there's any little bugs that might hitch a ride! Also snakes are pretty fast and I wouldn't want any escaping. Going to the shops etc might be a bit controvertial when you consider how a lot of the general public have a fear of snakes.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000