The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 butter gone mad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pompey666 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 00:06:19
hi i put her back in her viv today like i have for everyday for the last two weeks but today i put her down and she turned on me and just went mad bitting and hissing i shut the glass and she carried on bitting the glass untill i turned the light out went back in a few hrs later and she just went mad again any advise would be great
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/11/2010 : 13:34:31
The only time one of mine has shown aggression was when the temp on the mat was a bit high, maybe worth checking your temperatures??
herriotfan Posted - 19/11/2010 : 11:27:54
I'm sorry you feel that you need to part with your snake. I do understand where you're coming from but I also understand what people mean when they tell you that all our snakes are basically wild creatures and we must be aware of that. I hope you find a good home for the snake.
mikerichards Posted - 19/11/2010 : 09:47:00
A boa is a whole different ball game, Corns barely leave a mark, even as adults. Even baby Boas have a better bite than even most adult corns, and as for adult boas, well, its gonna hurt, a lot.
lotabob Posted - 19/11/2010 : 00:43:00
Something tells me a boa will leave a mark. I'd still take that over my sisters cat though.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 23:12:02
have to agree with above posts! i never expected to be bitten by a corn at 1st due to the often said normally docile nature but all of mine have got me more than once! but a snake is.. well a snake! and they bite!! lol :)
just waiting for the boa to get his teeth sunk in! oh joy!!! lol
lotabob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 22:42:10
Yep I've a bottle of TCP ready just in case, not happened yet with a corn snake but if it does it does, sure its more the shock of it than actually sore. It cant be as bad as the hamster bite that bit through to my bone or my sisters nervous cat who will scratch and bite as you walk past or the Adder that tried to make my leg fall off. A snake will react exactly as a snake would in the wild, if its scared its first instinctual response is runaway and hide, fight is a final resort.
Sta~ple Posted - 18/11/2010 : 22:17:47
Could be a bit unwell and thinks your a predator trying to eat it? Also if your children could have been having a bit of a play or tapping on the glass or anything. Any changes like decorating can also set them off to or it could be the time of year it is, if I wanted to sleep and someone kept picking me up I would get snappy too lol.

If you have snakes, your bound to get bitten, even by the "nicest" snakes who just happen to make a mis-judgement, same for anyone who handles snakes, they would be prepared incase they get bitten so they can try and react accordingly. Same with any animal, you have to kind of think about the worst that could happen.
lotabob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 22:10:41
Its been 2 weeks and your selling her. Its not the butter that's mad. Surely with the amount of snakes you have listed that you are aware of their wild streak, I'm new to snake keeping but one of the first things I learnt doing research is they can't be domesticated. There is NO guarantee that your other snakes won't one day turn on you, same for your rodents, and the dogs you pass in the street, they are animals. After 2 weeks you'll still have a nervous snake still getting used to things and it got scared, that's all.
eeji Posted - 18/11/2010 : 21:45:49
bitey corns are great, it reminds us what they are and they are to be respected as well as admired :)

kittens are for cuddling and stroking :)
Mort13 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 20:37:53
Its a shame you've not given it chance to see if she settles down,even if by leaving alone for a few days before deciding to sell her.
Thats not a dig by the way,but you could well have let go a fantastic little snake. It just seems a bit of a rash decision based on one occasion of aggresiveness,you may well regret letting her go.
I myself have kids and if one of my snakes showed any signs of aggression I would ensure my children understood that they could not handle it till I knew whether it was a one off or not. If it did turn out to be aggresive then I'd still keep it and let the kids handle the other.
mikerichards Posted - 18/11/2010 : 20:14:51
i see a typical RFUK response there!! i know the snake is not your problem as of saturday, but, its highly likely that something has triggered the response. As someone said, a snake that bites is a normal snake, thats what they do, you cannot expect to have a snake that will never bite, it just wont happen, YOU have to anticipate the mood of the snake to AVOID a situation with your children.
Not a dig at all, just an observation that you cant automatically write an animal off just because it reacted to something like an animal.
Same thing as you cant expect an animal to always be predictable and docile.
dizzie85 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 11:23:13
I would probably be inclined to agree maybe you have knocked her and maybe not even realise it. Im not too experienced but I know when my one snake acts up its upon getting her out when going back home she slithers into her hide no problem (returning to her safe place). It would make sense she has been knocked just prior to her turning on you, maybe you havent realised. I hope someone wiht more experience comes to give you more advice but If it were me I would probably leave her alone for a week let her get over it then gently go back in gradually... (but again I have only had my snakes 2months so am by no means an expert!
lotabob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 00:53:33
REPOST>

OK, I would have to say even without much information, if a snake bites its something you've done not a problem with the snake. Like is she in the process of shedding and doesn't want handled, is she relatively new and been over handled, did you knock her body or head off any part of the viv when putting her back. Sounds like an upset and scared snake rather than an aggressive snake as she was biting the glass, aggression would be far more focused.

Don't give up on your animals, remember they are wild and act accordingly, its your job to understand and deal with that.

More information about the snake, would help.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000