The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 viv doors!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
infatuateddrummer Posted - 17/11/2010 : 22:47:20
Hey just a quick one i brought a standard viv lock to stop zues slidin the viv doors open n plannin his escape but my glass is too thick and dont think it will go between the two without real force!! i got some rubber stoppers off ebay but even at 2mm thinnest that struggles to fit!! any suggestions would be greatly accepted!!thank u plz
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hiper2009 Posted - 22/11/2010 : 17:06:40
I prefer a lock incase you have little kids about they could just pull the wedges out and open the glass doors so its better with a lock .
Mort13 Posted - 21/11/2010 : 20:41:53
Sounds like a few people on here have ordered from the same guy with no problems. Noticed the negative feedback was people with the same problem I've had. Hope your mates get sorted soon. Paypal have refunded me now so at least its dealt with
I'd ordered them before getting Falcor and when I went to pick him up I noticed the breeder had them and she said they work great. Hopefully I'll have some soon!
infatuateddrummer Posted - 21/11/2010 : 17:40:53
i got mine ebay n they turned up fine!! tho few mates r havin problems with deliverys!! they r good tho those rubbers
Mort13 Posted - 20/11/2010 : 18:29:02
Cheers guys. I've tried ordering some again,but not through ebay so fingers crossed!! Never would have though of Homebase!!
tehbunneh Posted - 20/11/2010 : 11:01:24
Some hardware stores sell them too. I've been looking about for reed teepees/nest box (they are in the bird section of Homebase, and Ripley LOVES his!) and found some of these little wedges being sold in the pet section, and also in the sort of 'miscellaneous' area XD Might be worth looking about in your locals?
Sta~ple Posted - 19/11/2010 : 22:45:04
There are some other websites probably but it works out a bit more expensive. I guess you could always buy a rubber and slice it in half diagonaly

Edit: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cage-door-rubber-wedge-(6-pack)-by-pro-rep-27953 never seen them in my local though but they should be able to order them in. You cold sell any unneeded and keep some as spare.
Mort13 Posted - 19/11/2010 : 22:08:20
Was hoping someone might have known a shop where I could have ordered some,cheers though. This is the guy I ordered my rubber wedges and viv handles from 3 and a half weeks ago,he's not responded to the emails I've sent and I've now had to start a claim!! Really wary of ebay now as this was my first ebay purchase.
Sta~ple Posted - 19/11/2010 : 16:09:36
Got mine from the same place too!

My viv's don't have any runners at the sides and they all work fine, even with the babies. You just have to make sure you close the doors properly that's all, had none of mine open the doors yet and for the babies I just shoved cardboard through the gap of the doors even though the doors are tight fitting.
lucyloop Posted - 19/11/2010 : 15:50:25
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320460118807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

hi, mine were from above.
Mort13 Posted - 19/11/2010 : 14:57:09
Know its off the convo a bit,but where did you guys get your rubber wedges from as I ordered some off ebay and guess what,I've not received them!
a33272 Posted - 19/11/2010 : 12:21:19
not all vivs come with runners up the sides, vivexotic ones dont non of mine do at that and its never been an issue, all mine have rubber wedges which work fine, dont block off the gap between the sliding glass to much as it does contribute to ome of the air flow from front to back
tehbunneh Posted - 19/11/2010 : 01:45:22
Glad I could help mate ^^ Was it a second hand viv? May be the previous people forgot to put them in, or took them off before they sold it!
infatuateddrummer Posted - 18/11/2010 : 21:12:02
nice one lucy i am onto it deffinately need new side ridges!! thnx
lucyloop Posted - 18/11/2010 : 21:05:25
hello i drummer, i know what you mean as i brought a viv lock and it was too big for the glass. Also brought a rubber and it only sticks between the glass by about 1cm. We engineered a new wedge by using a old cork, one of the ones from fizzy wine like a champagne cork, we shaved it down with a knife into a wedge shape and now it works a treat! Hope this helps!
infatuateddrummer Posted - 18/11/2010 : 20:51:08
Thank u ever so much tehbunneh i just checked over the viv and it has no side ridges so he keeps tryin to slide door open!! i goin to order some on ebay and get them fitted as that will cure my problem!! i think my glass is 6mm thick so the lock is too thick to slide between the two pannels! sorry for the confusions u lot r ace!
lotabob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 00:48:46
As tehbunneh says vivarium doors should fit securely into runners at the sides leaving no gap for a snake to get purchase on the glass to push it open. If you can't fit a viv lock between the gap then its a very small gap and a binding slider would be ideal to just close it off completely. They can only open glass that they can hook with their noses. My viv has such a tight fit on the side runners I have to close and push completely shut the rear piece of glass before closing and pushing shut the front piece, which ever way the glass is put in the only bit available for the snake to push on is the mid point and that's only pushing it closed.
tehbunneh Posted - 18/11/2010 : 00:33:25
I think he was trying to say he bought some wedges for the doors when the lock was too thin to fit onto the glass? Might not have grasped that though.

Ripley managed to escape through the glass doors of his viv when he was first bought. He didn't push them apart though, he slid through the gap where the two overlap. I have shoved some card in currently, and he's not attempted an escape since. Kellog suggests the use of ring binder binds to stop them going between too. If the issue is your snake is squeezing in from the side and opening the door, however, that sounds like faulty set-up of the slider ridges. When I close my sliding doors, they push securely into the ridges in the side of the opening, so that the snake can't push them open because there is no gap between edge of door and viv. I believe you can get varying thicknesses of wedge, so perhaps try some thicker ones? I'm still not sure what exactly it is you are asking though, lol!
Oh How Original Posted - 17/11/2010 : 23:49:18
I don't get your problem, one second you say it doesn't fit then you say you bought rubbers?...
What's the problem? :S

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000