The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Snake Sitter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hayleyb93 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 10:20:49
This is probably a ridiculous question but i was wondering is there anywhere that keeps snakes for a bit while your away, im going to uni next year in england which is far since i live in n.ireland and unfortunately i cant bring snakey with me. I have the option of leaving him at home with my parents who take nothing to do with him and find him boring and so he wont be handled or fed properly while im away which will be very worrying, i also have the option of selling him, which i have completely wiped out or now as i really do love the little guy and would hate to see him leave. so i was wondering if anywhere can like look after him for intervals, almost like kennels for dogs, i may end up having to get rid of him, at the end of the day it whats best for him after all but for now that is not an option.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 19/11/2010 : 00:25:06
Oh dont do that I've been to Kilkeel. Quiet, if it wasn't for mauds and country fried chicken (oh yeah I said country) is would be downgraded to hamlet for sure.
infatuateddrummer Posted - 18/11/2010 : 23:54:13
Stay home get a job and forget uni!! live a somewhat debt free life u and ur snake lol!!! ;-p least it wont let u down!lol!! seriously tho good luck what about ur uncle lookin after it for a year then get ur own place! my landlord said no pets i got 2 cats tropical fish and my beloved corn!! wouldnt sell it tho u wud regret it!
lotabob Posted - 18/11/2010 : 23:45:22
Transporting your snake will be a nightmare, go by ferry and you'll have to rig up some sort of heating somehow for the long journey, and by plane I don't think a domestic carrier will even fly a snake, god most object to you having a bag. Your best bet is fine someone in Northern Ireland who will take your snake until you return. I'm just learning the ropes when it comes to snakes and wouldn't be confident looking after someone else's pride and joy or I would offer myself.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 18/11/2010 : 23:19:37
could be totally wrong but im sure blue lizards reptiles (or simular company!!) have a new service were they look after snakes but you do have to pay!

coincidently (spelling?) theres a good chance i'll be in sydney austrailia for 12 months next year but dnt want to sell my snakes :(
tehbunneh Posted - 17/11/2010 : 19:06:56
If there are trouble-makers, there are bound to be times when someone will turn up to talk, but not necessarily search all rooms. If you get a good reputation with your personal landlord, you'll find that they won't ever harass you, even if they harass others you are living with X33 That's been my trick through nearly 4 years of Uni living. I'm not in student accommodation any more; me and my boyfriend privately rent, due to it actually being somewhat cheaper for us - or it used to be around here, when the recession was at its peak XD Student accommodation was awful expensive for a while round here. Either way, neither of us has ever had trouble, and even when in halls, they have to tell you they are coming, so its pretty easy to get around their nosing XD
Sta~ple Posted - 16/11/2010 : 17:19:15
I'm sure they can if they know that someone has been dropping water bombs, flour bombs and other bombs on random people or if they person is thought/known to deal drugs. Also since student accommodation is often no smoking and that fire alarms keep getting set off and strange sells that shouldn't be there. Also other people randomly stealing stuff from other rooms because the people never lock the door's can kinda provoke a search sweep.
zandefloss Posted - 16/11/2010 : 16:23:17
legally they cannot just drop in, although I'm sure many landlords do as students wont complain, also, even if they did find your pets, they wpuld usually ask you to get rid of them, which would really just put you in the same situation you are in now - I think with a few steps to ensure they're secure, safe and hidden, it is easy to keep pets in student accommodation.

serva x
Sta~ple Posted - 16/11/2010 : 14:44:47
quote:
Originally posted by tehbunneh

I'm pretty sure they can't actually 'drop-by' unexpectedly. In my halls, we were given a notice of when they would be potentially arriving, and even then, didn't.

That's weird and you're lucky, they did do in my b/f's accommodation and various friends. Then again, the people my b/f and some of my friend's did stay with weren't the greatest of people... they got complaints by members of the public and other people living in the same area and tip off's about smoking and drugs so that's probably why they did it sometimes unexpectdily, to make sure they were actually behaving and making sure things that shouldn't be there, stay not there. Some in halls, some in other big named accommodation recommended by the uni's.
zandefloss Posted - 16/11/2010 : 11:18:40
I personally wouldn't ask, no student halls I've ever known allow pets and if you asked it would make them suspicious. I've been in 4 different 'no pets' student accommodation and have had animals in all of them, the snake is by far the easiest to keep hidden and take in. You have to be given 24hr notice before anyone can come into your room, also they're not allowed to snoop around lifting blankets and rifling through drawers either.

I keep my snake now at the end of my bed (when her tank was smaller I kept her on my desk) and when I leave the room I cover her with a blanket, just to be sure in case there's an emergancy and they need to get in my room quick. When she was on my desk I would keep the tank stood in a fabric shoping bag and just throw it over the tank when I left. I would make sure that whatever cover you use is of a breathable fabric and is thin enough to allow normal light to get through whilst concealing the snake.

I don't tell anyone who I live with about my snake as a lot of people are frightened and I would not people to sit in their rooms worrying about whether the snake was going to escape or bite them! They're a great pet to keep in halls though because they're very quiet and low maintenance and easy to conceal. Keeping rats was the worst because if you covered their cage with fabric they'd chew holes in it so they could look out and have an extra cosy bed :)

zan x
hayleyb93 Posted - 15/11/2010 : 22:50:31
i maybe will ask about it, i know if i leave him home he will be fed and have clean water and all that, my concern is handling as he will not be handled at all when im away and im wondering will that make him skittish at all as he already is a little bit, i would just hate to come home in the summer and for him to be scared of being handled or maybe even aggressive.
tehbunneh Posted - 15/11/2010 : 10:11:18
I'm pretty sure they can't actually 'drop-by' unexpectedly. In my halls, we were given a notice of when they would be potentially arriving, and even then, didn't.
Sta~ple Posted - 14/11/2010 : 21:00:29
You've got to think though, what will happen if you do get found with them? Uni halls won't be very happy at all and some land loads will tell you to get rid of them or move out. I wouldn't tell your flatmates, if your moving in with people you don't know as one might have a real fear and tell on you. Uni halls can do random, and uninvited checks as do big student housing companies :( they also check in the weirdest of places.

Why can't you keep him at home, at least until the second year where you can find your own place? He doesn't need to be handled, only a water change and food and feeding isn't that hard?

Edit:Have you asked your uni halls about pets? Sorry if I missed it but some places just see pets as the smelly rodents XD maybe if you explain snakes are very clean animals?
lee2308 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 20:58:09
another idea would be to ask the collage if you could keep him in one of the departments,has the collage got a animal bit
tehbunneh Posted - 14/11/2010 : 20:33:03
If you were coming to Worcester (DON'T!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, DON'T DO IT!) I would offer to foster him whilst you were in Uni if you weren't sure about sneaking him in XDD Else, I'd have no way of getting to you/you getting to me to drop him off/pick him up at any other place.

To be honest, you don't even need to tell your flatmates XD I didn't with the gerbils for nearly half a semester, until one of my flatmates just waltzes in and sees them, runs from the room screaming, only to return with all the others to coo over my two fat little fellas XDDD Sneaking them in with their 2ft wide, 3ft deep tank&cage was a right palaver, but me and my parents managed it in the end XDD A snake would be a piece of cake, just stack a load of bags or whatever around him and just waltz on up, especially if in a RUB. If he was found, he wouldn't be taken from you, not at all. They would just ask that you send him home or whatever, and maybe arrange another time to inspect to check he is gone. All you'd need to do is arrange with a friend for him to stay in their wardrobe or something if that did happen XD I did with the gerbils once or twice.
hayleyb93 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 20:06:22
im tempted to hide him, just suggested it to my mum and she's up for giving it a go, if anyone wants to foster im also fine with that haha but no one feel they have to :] at least both these ways ill know he's well looked after.
rachiepotatoe Posted - 14/11/2010 : 19:49:04
I would definately check the rules about having pets at your uni
If you're in halls, you could just hide him in a wardrobe :) I was planning to do that. If you're living in a flat share, just tell your flat mates you're bringing a snake! most students will be fascinated by a snake :)
orrrr maaaybe someone on here could foster him for a year? then you could move into a flat second year of uni and then take him back :)
lee2308 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 19:45:27
very unlikley a rep shop will take it in for free for that long,even if they did it will only be fed,watered and cleaned and probably wont be handled much,unless you have someone you know who is interested in it then i think finding it a new home would be best.Will you be in halls for 3 years or could you find your own place after a while?
hayleyb93 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 19:39:46
thats actually a good idea sneaking him in, i wouldnt like the thought of him under my bed though :p im going to either blackpool or bournemouth or edinburugh so im sure there will be somewhere around there to look after him. I maybe will try the sneaking him in thing though but if he gets caught will he be taken off me? im getting a place of my own in 2nd year so im sure sneaking him in or whatever wont be a problem then. i never really thought of the whole sneaking in thing :p
tehbunneh Posted - 14/11/2010 : 12:52:31
When I went to Uni, I had my two gerbils with me, in their cage, right in plain sight. We never got checked, or if we did, they didn't have a thing to say about them being there. They became a right little attraction in my flat, lol! A snake would be even easier to sneak in, as they can live very happily in a 50L/64L RUB, and to have that under your bed or something, if you ever do get a check, it could be a box of underwear or something? Its probably not as difficult as you'd imagine to get a pet into Uni XDD And when you enter 2nd year, you have to find your own place in a lot of Unis. I had to, and I'm in a flat that doesn't allow pets, but have 4 corn snakes and a 65L fishtank! My landlord has even commented on how nice my fishtank is, when he came into our flat to get some things from the restaurant roof outside our window. He walked past it about 5 times before he realised it was a fishtank XDDD He's not been in since I got the snakes, lol.
Sta~ple Posted - 14/11/2010 : 11:52:06
Are you staying in halls or not? I have heard of people sneaking snakes into halls, in RUBs and keeping them under the bed or somewhere else those pesky, un-invited checkers are going to look and when it's feeding day, just going to a rep shop that day to get food, none stored in freezer. But it does come with risks... other housing options that aren't uni based or owned by other companies sometimes allow pets.

Bording for even a snake I imagine to be quite expensive...

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000