The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding behaviour

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mort13 Posted - 12/11/2010 : 11:08:28
I'm relatively new to snake keeping and only have 2 little hatchies,but I wondered how everyones snakes differ with their feeding styles?

Mine behave very differently. Loki calmly and confidently approaches his fuzzy straight away and after a few head butts very calmy starts feeding. Everything is slow and steady with him with no hesitation at all.
Falcor however dithers about for a while as if avoiding his pinkie,then it looks like he suddenly makes his mind up he wants and and makes a beeline over to it. He quickly lunges at it (usually in the wrong place) and then does a bit of heat butting while he finds the head or bum. Once he starts feeding it looks like he's trying to inhale it as he always seems like he's in a mad rush to eat it!

Thought it would be interesting to see how they all differ. Who says snakes don't have personality eh!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 12:43:29
Sid the adult likes his placed on top of his warm hide he comes out of the hide slithers about like he searching for it, he even goes right past it and up to the other end of the viv. Then he makes his way back towards it and suddenly, are there it is. Its like he is hunting for it. He doesn't strike at it but noses it from nose to tail and then moves back to the nose and starts eating. He will not eat if its not placed in the right spot! Patrick our other adult has only been brave enough to feed once, that was thursday night. We popped the mouse in on a dish and covered the viv with a towel and in the morning it was gone. He is terrified of people, because of his previous handling before we took him in. Don't know if he wiil ever stop being scared. Frank is 12 weeks old and he follows the fuzzy (just moved him up from pinkies) for a few seconds then strikes. Keith, 12 weeks also, has 2 pinkies at the moment. He follows and then strikes with both pinkies, but always strikes at the middle of the pinky so then he slowly works his way up to the head, though sometimes they go down bottom first!
tehbunneh Posted - 13/11/2010 : 10:15:35
I've not fed Dexter, so I won't know with him for a while, but my other three are quite different.

Ripley is extremely lazy. I use tongs to make the food look a little alive, as they ALL tend to ignore it if just left in the bottom of their tub. I wiggle it, he just slowly reaches out, wraps his jaws around the head or neck and then will wait till I put it down. Sometimes he'll strike and then do the same, rather then constrict. With these larger fuzzies, he tends to use a coil to help push it in his mouth, lol! Sometimes he'll strike/grap to the belly of the mouse, and then 'walk' his jaws around to the butt or head, whichever, its seems, is further away, lol!

Widget is quite aggressive, and is one of the only snakes I have that really attempts a constriction, but he's not yet managed a proper one yet. Uusually just lays a few coils on top of the mouse, lol. He is then pretty slow eating, just taking his time to swallow it down.

Boa'tata is hilarious. He's very strong at striking, with throw maybe one coil further down his body in an attempt to get it maybe somewhere near the pinkie, and then just swallows, very quickly XD
Sta~ple Posted - 13/11/2010 : 09:57:17
Venom strikes from a distance or if he's feeling a bit lazy he will get right close, have a good sniff then strike.
Char will sit and stare at food for ages. If she does eventually go to eat it she will sniff it for ages then attempt to eat but if she doesn't, I have to give it a wiggle and then she strikes, sometimes she will eat then, sometimes not.
Rattles likes his privacy, and will rattle at anyone or anything that even comes close to his covered up tub when feeding.

Ember just careful eats.

quote:
Originally posted by lotabobgoing straight to the water bowl when I put him back in the vivarium.

:o doesn't he know your supposed to wait an hour after eating to go swimming!
Mort13 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 09:43:57
Ha,ha they are all so different aren't they. You just don't realise till you own one of your own
lotabob Posted - 12/11/2010 : 21:58:41
Spot is a lazy beast and eats like he's got all night, you get an instant feeding response but from 'fuzzy in' to 'fuzzy gone' can take about 20 minutes. He will first approach the fuzzy, then will give it a good thorough prodding, he almost always firsts bites at the head end accross the eyes and then shuffles to the nose and sits there for a minute readying himself before starting to swallow. Once he has swallowed he then drags his face on the kitchen roll and it wouldn't be a feeding time without him going straight to the water bowl when I put him back in the vivarium.
lucyloop Posted - 12/11/2010 : 20:59:38
Tiko is a striker! He has a double feed now, today he tried to take the first one sideways and after about ten wasted mins he moved it around and ate it. The second one, he still striked, ate it much more quickly - guess the jaws are flexed after the first one! I love the way he lauches on it and constricts for a good 5 mins just to ensure its "dead"!
herriotfan Posted - 12/11/2010 : 20:55:52
2 strike and constrict, 2 just want to be left in a rub with their meal to eat it in peace and one little hatchling won't feed atm!
n/a Posted - 12/11/2010 : 20:29:08
Our adult male, Spungo (Amel) is really laid back and never refuses food, he strike feeds, but he knows he doesn't have to kill it and just gulps it down real fast. Our female, Virgil, (Carolina) is very much the same, but sometimes she checks it is dead by squishing it just to be sure.
The babies we have are only about 10 weeks and all of them are different.
Number 1 (snow) strikes for the food, hits it wrong drops it and nudges it until it finds an end and then starts to eat, but if it is not warm enough dinner will be ignored until warmed up.
Number 2 (Anery) again likes its dinner warmed up a extra, but does not strike, just latches on and moves it around until its at the nose or tail and swallows.
Number 3 (carolina) will take its food colder then the others (just like its mummy and daddy), it strike feeds and holds it up in the air to move it around and swallow.
They are all a little different and the only one that has refused food in the past is the snow but it eats fine atm.
The trick I use to warm up the mice more and so I can keep an eye on the babies while they eat is to put them in a box with it on the front of my laptop when its on, it keeps them warm and when the mouse is warm enough they eat :) xx
dizzie85 Posted - 12/11/2010 : 16:45:21
Mine both feed differently too, Charlie when I used to bring the food to him would strike and try to constrict. Now I have his pinkie already in a rub, he smells it as i'm putting him in and doesn't even wait for me to put him down he has already as im trying to lower him in and get the lid on got half of it in his mouth! He doesnt hang about!!
Matilda on the other hand she is a menace to get into her rub to feed and will look for escapes and ignore her pinkie initially, after a little while probably around a minute or so she will calm down and seems to notice theres food in there for her and she will headbut round it, move away from it,, go back to it and repeat,,, Eventually she will calmly approach and begin to take it gently.
gmac Posted - 12/11/2010 : 11:20:43
the hatchies here are violent feeders strike and eat quick so no one else can get the pinkies, we also have a few other strike feeders, food left in tub / viv (the ones left in the vivs are the only ones not fed in a separate tubs) a few that need to be covered and like a bit of privacy.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000