The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 decoration for the habitat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 05:35:08
hi, is it possible to use soft rocks found down the beech to use as decorations as i am on a very strict budget and im trying to find cheap ways to get me started and what i would like to do is make a sort of rockery climbing frame in the tank for the snakes and also will it be possible to use these to make caves in the rocks (properly secured obviously) to make several different homes in the tank. if so can u tell/advise me in the best way to prepare such items please.

could you also tell me if i have to wait between setting the housing up and getting the inhabitants or can u just chuck them in (so to speek and not literally) straight after.

also is it possible to put more than 1 colour/morth of snake in together as babies if the tank is large enough - say a 4ft tank for example.

and as u can tell, im clueless so im trying to get the best advice possible as i have done tons of research and i would now like to get proffessional/experienced advice thanx
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:18:09
oh ok, there the ones that are gonna supply me with everything i need, including the snakes and the food, all in one full swing, owning corn snakes have been a child hood dream, so im very passionate about these animals and there well being

and i think we can all agree on this, if i didnt care, i wouldnt be trying to get as much info on keeping them as i can before i get them, i prefer too have too much knowledge about keeping animals rather than not enough, that way i can avoid problems arising
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:11:39
No I don't live there, have heard an awful lot about the "snakeman" though. I live in Scotland so tend to use local stores, though I'm sure others will appreciate the link.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:09:39
yea it was geraint, sexy, u live in llanelli do u?

oh everyone i have found a website that sells frozen food for corn snakes as well as everything else, you all probably know it anyway, but i will put the link up for you all anyway, its;

www.southwalesreptilesupplies.co.uk

they also run a rescue facility for corn snakes aswel - just thought u should all know, oh and there pretty cheap aswel
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:06:55
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

and heres a point for all of you to consider, and this is from the local "snake man" as hes called, how can anything be too big for an animal that in the wild would be in the biggest space known, planet earth, and thats a very big and open space

....and it would be a very small space they are hiding in, to avoid predation and generally stay safe.

Actually, I don't recall the last time I saw a snake lying out in the middle of a vast open space. Hmmm.

A hatchling snake also wouldn't be constantly trying to escape planet earth...

New film idea-

Snakes on a Spaceship!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:06:13
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:

and heres a point for all of you to consider, and this is from the local "snake man" as hes called, how can anything be too big for an animal that in the wild would be in the biggest space known, planet earth, and thats a very big and open space

....and it would be a very small space they are hiding in, to avoid predation and generally stay safe.

Actually, I don't recall the last time I saw a snake lying out in the middle of a vast open space. Hmmm.

A hatchling snake also wouldn't be constantly trying to escape planet earth...
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:02:41
quote:

Its not Geraint the snakeman is it?
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 18:40:40
the bigger viv was gonna be for when they are adults and NOT when they are babies, the babiaes will be kept seperatley in 2 different fauns that will be next to each other, sorry if that came across wrong, as by the time that i have built the new one, they would be a few yrs old anyway, after reading the co-habiting thread, i wouldnt do that anyway

and i am taking everyones advice on board accually, thats why i joined the forum, so that i can get advice from experienced people BEFORE i get the snakes, as i said, its gonna be 3 weeks until i get paid so nothing will be bought until then and i was up all last night researching this.

CSN Posted - 05/08/2010 : 17:25:55
As the rest of the guys said. Viv is too big for babies and you should never put babies together.
i would really think again about getting a snake if i was you - no offence but the guys here are very experienced and you need to listen to there advice. everyone is willing to give advice but its about if you are willing to take it on board!!!
sorry but i dont like the idea of killing snakes
mikeyd_26 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 15:17:32
I'd say listen to the advice given by members because many are very experienced/knowlagable snake keepers and have helped me out plenty of times with sound advice (just my opinion) :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 14:52:46
quote:

i have looked at the co-habiting thread and have decided to get two baby corns and as i regularly suffer with insomnia, i can easily keep an eye on them.

also i am gonna try and build my own viv thats gonna be 4ft long x 3ft x 3ft

I would seriously advise against getting 2 babies to co-habit. Having insomnia is not a good enough reason to risk the death of 1 or even both of your new snakes.

The viv you are planning to build is also MASSIVE, far too big for 2 babies, let alone 1.

For the money, expense and time, you would be better off housing each baby separately in a faun or RUB, and looking to build them EACH a 3x1.5 when they are adults.

I'm sure others will back me up on this.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 05/08/2010 : 11:15:20
no i dont mean the white dusty ones, i mean the grey ones that they use for coastal reinforcment, there usually a lighte grey and very soft to the touch and the complete opposite to dusty as they have been erroded by the tide, the white dusty rocks are granite and i already know that granite is or rather can be extremely dangerous to reptiles.

i have looked at the co-habiting thread and have decided to get two baby corns and as i regularly suffer with insomnia, i can easily keep an eye on them.

also i am gonna try and build my own viv thats gonna be 4ft long x 3ft x 3ft, this should be ample for 2 snakes, as i will be putting a rock climbing frame with caves built into the structure which will help the snakes excape each other if they should ever wish to do so, the substrate i still haven t decided on yet as im doing alot of research into this but would like to have it looks as natural as possible to the snakes natural habitat. any help with the build plans would be helpful though, and it would be about 3 weeks before i put all of this from planning to accually doing it so theres plenty of time to do all of the reasearch and get all of the advice before hand as i prefer to have too much advice (if thats possible) and research than not enough.

oh yea and the sort of rocks that im talking about are used by tropical aquariests, i know this coz i was one and dont it myself
Sta~ple Posted - 05/08/2010 : 10:04:51
Do you man those kinda white dusty rocks? I wouldn't do, I had something like that but in a pipe kinda shame and it smelt funny for some reason no matter how much I cleaned it and it was a bit too dusty for the snake. Harder ones would be better but you would have to clean them first. If you wanted a rock climbing sort of thing, The best way I can think of is either getting those ones you get fro pet stores or get some polystyrene that's think and make a rock wall into it, maybe paint it and then seal it up. I can get some links for you if you would like or do a google search.

It's better to have the viv/rub set up fora while if this is your first snake.

Colour and morph does not matter, but I would read the co-habiting thread for you to make your own mind up.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000