The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 A new member of the household

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 27/07/2010 : 09:16:10
This is our almost 10 week old Rottweiler pup Max. We've possibly rescued him from death as his owners were not looking after him or his other litter mates properly. He was being fed on cheap adult food for working dogs (about £6 for 15kg!!!), had no injections, no toilet training and had worms. I took him for his 1st injection yesterday and his 1st worming, the vet weighed him at 4.3 when he should be nearer 5. But he's well on the menf now and turning into a very active healthy pup!!!!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 31/07/2010 : 10:17:47
He is really cute!

A Mate of mine has a small bear...Ahem, I mean Rotty, and I'm all up for a rough n tumble, but the dog weighs 12 stone, and I generally come away looking like I've been in a fighting ring!
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 29/07/2010 : 20:54:53
our neighbour adores him! luckily we're on an end terrace house so only have the one neighbour and he is fine about him, a real animal lover and is usually watching movies on his pc with the headphones on anyway.

we don't fuss him when he howls we leave him to it we don't go downstairs to see to him or anything. I'm booking him a 2 hour session with a dog trainer who has worked with loads of rottweilers and owns 2 himself, just for piece of mind! He did say the first few weeks will be the hardest as we can't walk him to exercise him and get him used to things
kdlang Posted - 29/07/2010 : 20:19:08
I would have a word with your neighbours. Just let them know you have got a new puppy, explain that you are really sorry but he will probably cry for a few nights while he gets used to being on his own. They are usually better if you let them know and a cute puppy usually gets forgiven everything lol. I spoke to my neighbours the day after I got Jack as I didn't see them that night. I apologised if he disturbed them and explained he would probably cry for a few nights and they said it was fine as they hadn't even heard him lol. Thankfully he settles really well just on his bed in my room with the door closed. The only time I have a problem is when the cat decides to wind him up.
hillzi Posted - 29/07/2010 : 12:22:55
Best thing to do when they howl is to ignore them. Soon learn, they say the first few nights is the worse for the howling, more you fuss him if he howls, the more he'll know he can howl to get what he wants.

Jo-And-Danny Posted - 29/07/2010 : 11:50:50
We got both a normal puppy Kong and the Kong 'stick' like thing for teething. We got 3 hours sleep last night as Max was howling ALL night

We thought the fact he had food to occupy his mind would work, it did for the first 10 minutes but as well settled into bed the crying/wailing/screaming/barking/howling begun, it was like he was possesed!!!!!

I've been in touch with a dog expert with 20 years of dog training, he said it sounds like we've done everything right and that he would call me and maybe arrange for him to come down. I'm just worried about the cost some of these trainers charge but we need his problems sorted now before he becomes 10 stones worth of problem!!!
Tiffany-x Posted - 28/07/2010 : 13:36:38
With kongs you can get the stick things? They are good cause one it has been eaten its really difficult to get out (even me and my mum cant do it! :P ) but try those cause he will struggle but enjoy it.
Hope this helps! :)
Tiffany-x
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 28/07/2010 : 09:11:02
thats an itelligent dog!! I know max would get hours of enjoyment out of a kong, its just finding things to put in it that he wont easily get out!! We also need to get him some more chew bones for teething to stop him nibbling at furniture! he's suprisingly very obedient for a young pup, he'll 'leave' things when you tell him to and he'll sit when asked! we're getting him used to walking on his lead just around the house and back yard and he loves it when people come to visit him once he's got over his problems with not being able to be near us he'll be great. in a way its nice he wants to be near us cos its his way of telling us that we're in charge and we are the leaders of the pack and submits to us, but we just cant take him everywhere we go hehehe
kdlang Posted - 28/07/2010 : 06:13:16
One of my old foster dogs Bertie loved his Kong stuffed with cooked rice with small pieces of chicken in it. It kept him amused for ages in his crate. Then when he came out, he would take his Kong and keep throwing it down the stairs to get out all the stuff that he had compacted into the bottom. He has got to be the cleverest I have had so far in getting things out of a kong and I had to continually think of ways to make it last longer.
crazy JJ Posted - 28/07/2010 : 01:03:17
n'awww he is soooo cute :D
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 27/07/2010 : 22:56:14
thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! My other dog had a kong when she was younger and she loved it. He is very food orientated, if i leave the room and shut the door he will cry, but if i leave him in a room with his food and shut the door he's fine!!! A kong with peanut butter will be great it'll take him hours to get things out of it. We got the 'stop chew' spray which really worked aswell, allowed me to pop to the shops for 15mins even if he had done a little wee on the floor out of anxiety! We never punish him for something he's done. if he messes on the floor we either but him in the yard or on his training mat, if he nips or chews us we simply say 'no' and ignore him. he will learn theyre very intelligent dogs
Tiffany-x Posted - 27/07/2010 : 20:07:30
Another good thing is cheese spread!! But the squidgy poopy stuff that you can buy for it is also good! But anything soft that your dog enjoys goes well inside it, just try some different things.
Tiffany-x
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2010 : 19:24:14
Dunno if this'd agree with his bowells at a young age, but for a bit of extra amusement for him, try putting some peanut butter in the kong for him.

Our lab goes crazy for it, he's 8, still a chewer and still loves peanut butter in his kong!
Tiffany-x Posted - 27/07/2010 : 18:55:45
So adorable!! Leaving the telly on does work but just try it a few times and see because although it worked for my dog he barks if he sees a dog on tv he barks so he is a problem to our neighbours, lol. But as kdlang said kongs are fantastic because it takes their mind away what we used to do was leave him in another room with a kong and then leave without him knowing, because the kong keeps them occupied.
Tiffany-x
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/07/2010 : 16:12:07
Our rottweiler was a big chewer apparently. I don't remember all that much because i'd of only been like 6-7 but my mum said she used to chew everything. Leaving the T.V or something on may help as he may relate the TV/Radio being on with your presence at home.
kdlang Posted - 27/07/2010 : 15:56:46
Have you tried him in a dog crate? You will need to spend a bit of time getting him used to it but it is vital for peace of mind when you go out so you know he isn't going to chew anything that could hurt him. Do you leave any special chews or a stuffed Kong etc to distract and amuse him while you are gone?
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2010 : 15:56:12
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-And-Danny

we just need him to 'man-up' a bit and stop being so dependent on us, even a 10min trip to the supermarket results in door frames/skirting board being chewed and a puddle on the floor! hehehe little monster

Dog's are like toddlers.. fuss over them they will become bratty and act all spoilt best thing to do when he howls or whatever is to ignore it.

As Shorty said leaving the radio or TV on wont make him feel so alone. Or the washing machine/dishwasher, regular household noises will make him feel like your'e still there.

If you punish him for say destroying things, he wont know what he's being punished for as he did it before you got home and would probably have forgotten he did it!
n/a Posted - 27/07/2010 : 15:15:15
have u tried leaving the radio on for him?
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 27/07/2010 : 14:41:38
we just need him to 'man-up' a bit and stop being so dependent on us, even a 10min trip to the supermarket results in door frames/skirting board being chewed and a puddle on the floor! hehehe little monster
hillzi Posted - 27/07/2010 : 13:59:24
Nice one! Looks so sweet.
Sta~ple Posted - 27/07/2010 : 13:02:10
Awww so very cute!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000