The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Acting Strange

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 17:03:52
Hey Everyone,
Haven't had to come on here for ages, Ozzy has been brilliant, he's growing well and getting used to being handled.
Until the last couple of weeks!!
He went blue about 3-4 weeks ago and shed fine about 2-3 weeks ago but since then he hasn't been interested in food at all, we've offered him his normal size mouse every couple of days but he's really doesn't want it.
Also he's been doing this really strange thing with his tail when we go to pick him up, it's almost like he's rattling it at us.
He's been as active as ever, roaming around his viv, climbing his vines and up the glass as normal.
I'm starting to get a bit worried about my boy now
Any ideas???
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 18/07/2010 : 04:15:00
I would be surprised if it was because he was feeling horny Grace as corns are coming out of their breeding season....so for him to start that behaviour now does seem strange, but I am no expert so it may not be unheard of.

I would doubt it is the heat as corns actually handle the heat a lot better than we do!

Can I suggest that you dont offer him food every couple of days, as that will just stress him out. Keep to his normal feeding schedule, offering him the food on the day he is due to be fed and if he doesnt take it then leave it in the viv overnight.

Checkout this thread to see if some of the suggestions help in tempting him to feed - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

Corns do rattle their tails...it is really weird and unexpected and is usually a sign to say 'leave me alone'. You say he has been as active as ever, all as normal....when you do have him out of the viv how is his behaviour when you handle him? Is that the same as normal?

Just to double check everything, what are the temps in his viv? Have there been any changes recently or anything that might have stressed him out? I know this sounds bizarre but have you changed your soap or perfume? That would make you smell different to him and may be what is causing the tail rattling....

Do you weigh him? If not then if may be a good idea to start as then you can monitor him and see if he is losing any weight if this non-feeding continues (which we hope it wont!).

Some more info would help in trying to sort out what is going on, but I do hope that you have managed to get him to eat by the time you have read this!

xxx
hillzi Posted - 16/07/2010 : 14:46:09
quote:
Originally posted by Grace85

Oooh i never thought of that
He's about 18 months old now, what sort of age do they get the urge
x

Around that time, but it might just be the heat.

Let him cool of for a day or so then try again and get back to us.
n/a Posted - 16/07/2010 : 14:19:31
So nobody has any idea what might be up with him then?????
hiper2009 Posted - 15/07/2010 : 23:18:17
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

They can rattle their tail when they feel threatened, and I suppose he could have the urge to mate as climbing and roaming seems to be a sign that a males in the mood =]

Just because he is climbing and roaming around doesn't mean thats a sign for hes in the mood to mate.
n/a Posted - 15/07/2010 : 17:26:10
Oooh i never thought of that
He's about 18 months old now, what sort of age do they get the urge
x
Scarlett Posted - 15/07/2010 : 17:21:30
They can rattle their tail when they feel threatened, and I suppose he could have the urge to mate as climbing and roaming seems to be a sign that a males in the mood =]

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000