The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Snake Looking For Love???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 19:18:21
sorry for the title.

my female annery KARNE has stopped eating at the moment. and circles the tank climbing and digging around.

just wanting peoples opinions on this. last year she done this when she was paired up with the male KANE.

they bothed stopped eating for over 2 months and started to concern me. i had them split up as i thought it was a sex thing. and after a month of seperation she laid 7 eggs that were dead as a dodo. she then started feeding 2 weeks after that. my male KANE seemed to pass a blockage of some sort out 3 4 weeks after that and started feeding fine again.

now KANE is in a different room and is still feeding fine, My Blizzard is in the same tank as KARNE the female and she is feeding fine too.

so is my annery coming into season again?? she's earing my substrate up a gooden....lol. should i put her in with the male??

sorry for being dumb, i have never bred snakes before and there for don't really know there behaviour when it comes to getting jiggy
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/07/2010 : 04:35:04
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

........How old are you snakes?

I know Steely has had to put his snakes up for sale so was just checking the classifieds and Karne, the snake that laid the eggs (and you showed an interest in buying Mike ) is 26 months old and the blizzard is 18 months old....so Karne is young to be breeding and laying eggs.

The fact that she is looking so stiff, frail and skinny is certainly worrying....I guess it may be the stress of laying eggs at her age and maybe also the stress of co-habiting. I do hope things turn out ok with her Steely, I know that if you were closer to me then I would definitely take her off your hands and that is whether my OH said yes or no....she is such a beautiful snake.

xxx
mikerichards Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:52:44
I think that you should separate them until things get back to normal at the very least.
Although its know for females to lay a clutch of slugs with no intervention from the male it is very rare, if you are unsure of the sex of the blizzard then you need to be sure, males can be probed as female.
This reason is why co habitting is not a good idea, if you don't know the sexes then you are not in a position to do it. Only if you are certain that they are all the same sex should you consider it.
How old are you snakes?
n/a Posted - 30/06/2010 : 12:19:07
i'm pretty sure she is. but i could get her rechecked to make sure.

the eggs went a really mouldy yellow colour not long after she layed them, 16 in total. and they where really funny shapes too.

karne has kept herself buried all yesterday and today. it looks like she has got them all out. but she looks unwell at the moment. stiff, frail and skinny. she wasn't like this last year. so i will keep an eye on here for the next day and if she dosen't get much better it will be the vets.

so Karne is not for sale until further notice :(
Kellog Posted - 30/06/2010 : 05:52:36
Well at least that seems to explain things a bit....I think. Are you sure your blizzard is female?

I do hope that she is ok and manages to lay the rest of the slugs without a problem. Are you still planning on separating them?

xxx
n/a Posted - 29/06/2010 : 10:36:03
right today i found this

and i think she is still going for it. she has buried herself in the substrate and i habe no idea where she is in the tank...lol. but i think she will lay afew more by the look of it. she isn't moving around at the moment so i hope all is well.

these eggs are no good i should think, as she hasn't been with a male and therefore she hasn't been able to bonk anything to fertilize them...lol. sorry for my lovely way of explaining things.

so hopefully she will feed next weekend or the weekend after and all will be back to normal.

i bet bleach is thinking what the feck are you doing laying your eggs all over me??? you cow!!!

yayy
n/a Posted - 28/06/2010 : 19:27:45
thanks for your comments guys. will look at that thread too. last time this happened was when she was in the tank with the male. they both stopped eating and after being seperated for afew weeks Karne layed lots of dead eggs. thats why i thought it was a season thing. and thats how i found out she was female and not male...lol
herriotfan Posted - 28/06/2010 : 05:32:08
Try seperating them and see what happens.
Kellog Posted - 28/06/2010 : 05:21:07
I dont have any experience with co-habiting but have read a lot about it and from what I have researched things can seem fine for months, even years, and then the effects of the stress of being together show themselves in ways such as not feeding.

Have you had a look at this thread about co-habiting - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070? I know it is long, deals a lot with co-habiting opposite sexes and smaller snakes and also shows how emotional the topic is....but it does give some examples of what is going on with Karne. Probably worth a read.

xxx
n/a Posted - 26/06/2010 : 20:38:05
the blizzard and her have been in there for months together. not had any problems til now. do you think that the sudden change in heat as in wheather heat?? because its like the tropics at the moment, really muggy??
eeji Posted - 26/06/2010 : 20:11:40
breeding season is pretty much over but its a possibility. The most likely explanation is cohabiting is stressing

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000